This easy New England-style Shrimp Roll recipe is perfect for picnics, BBQs, and spring or summer meals. Shrimp is mixed with zesty lemon, Dijon mustard, and dill for fresh, mouthwatering flavor!
As the weather starts to warm up and we inch toward spring and summer, I start having a craving for these shrimp rolls.
Growing up in the Pacific Northwest and going to college in Boston, I fell in love with New England-style shrimp rolls. A simple hot dog bun is totally elevated with juicy big bites of fresh shrimp. So delicious!
Shrimp rolls are less expensive than lobster rolls, and just as tasty!
What is in this Shrimp Roll Recipe?
Here’s what you need to make this classic shrimp roll recipe:
- hot dog buns
- Dijon mustard
The last two ingredients aren’t necessarily traditional ingredients in making New England-style shrimp rolls. They are my special twist that helps make these extra flavorful!
How Do You Make New England-style Shrimp Rolls?
This shrimp roll recipe is super duper easy to make. You start by boiling the shrimp. While the shrimp is cooking, chop up the celery and mix together the mayo, mustard, and herbs.
Once the shrimp is cooked, chop into small bite-size pieces. Then toss the shrimp with the celery and mustard/mayo mixture.
Fill each hot dog bun with the shrimp filling.
What to Serve With Shrimp Rolls
These shrimp rolls are perfect to serve at picnics, barbecues, and any other outdoor gatherings. They’re portable and easy to eat while mixing and mingling.
Serve a simple salad alongside this yummy shrimp recipe. This would also be delicious served with Creamy Confetti Corn, Corn and Quinoa Caprese Salad, Easy Spring Egg Appetizers (as opposed to time-consuming deviled eggs!), or a fruit salad.
What Wine to Serve With Shrimp
This seafood recipe pairs well with two different types of white wine. Try a medium-bodied Chardonnay, which matches the richness of the shrimp roll filling. Or, go to the opposite end of the spectrum and serve this with a Riesling. The bright acidity balances the flavors in this shrimp roll recipe.
More Easy Recipes
- Easy Spring Egg Appetizers
- Spring Desserts: Mini Lime Tarts
- Soft Lemon Sugar Cookies with Orange and Lime
- Salmon Pasta Recipe: Creamy Farfalle with Salmon and Peas
- 20 Must Make Fruity Cocktail Recipes for Spring
Shrimp Roll Recipe
- 4 hot dog buns
- 1 pound shrimp
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped dill
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Optional: melted butter finely chopped chives or dill, additional lemon juice
- Bring salted water to a boil in a large pot. Add shrimp and cook for about 2-3 minutes, just until the shrimp is cooked.
- Drain water and rinse shrimp under cold water for just about 30 seconds to stop the cooking. Dry the shrimp on a layer of paper towels and then chop up the shrimp into small pieces. Place into a bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, celery, dill, lemon zest, lemon juice, paprika, and garlic.
- Add chopped shrimp to the bowl and stir until well coated with the mayonnaise mixture. Salt and pepper to taste, as needed.
- Fill each hot dog bun with an equal amount of shrimp mixture. If you prefer, you may toast or grill lightly buttered hot dog buns before filling. Serve as whole summer shrimp rolls for a main entree, or you may slice each in half if serving as part of a larger potluck or picnic.
- Optional toppings: add a tablespoon of melted butter, a squeeze of lemon juice, or sprinkle with finely chopped chives or dill on top of each summer shrimp roll before serving.
- Serve immediately.