This post is sponsored by Darigold FIT. As always, all opinions, photos, recipes are 100% my own.
This post-workout protein shake is a smooth, delicious treat to help you refuel after working out!
During the past few months, while we've all been spending most of our time at home, I've been spending more time working out. Maybe more than I have ever before in my entire adult life!
In doing so, I've learned these three things about maintaining a consistent home workout routine:
- Working out in the morning works best for me. Everyone has their own routine. But working out shortly after I wake up helps set the tone for the rest of my day. It also helps me just get it out of the way. I've never been one to LOVE working out, but I always feel grateful afterward.
- Hydrating before, during, and after a workout is essential. If I don't drink enough water before a workout, I feel it. I drag during the workout.
- Replenishing nutrients after a workout is SUPER important! If I don't re-hydrate and replenish lost minerals, I'm not as energetic or focused the rest of the day. My brain is a little sluggish, and I am not as productive as I could be.
This is why I've learned to incorporate a post-workout shake into my routine.
What is in this post-workout shake
While I often have a green smoothie before a workout, I like to have a chocolate protein shake after I exercise.
The ingredients for this shake are:
- Darigold FIT Ultra-Filtered Chocolate Milk - this is a yummy ultra-filtered chocolate milk that is great on its own, but packs a punch when blended with the remaining ingredients.
- banana - one regular-sized banana without the peel
- peanut butter - I prefer to use creamy peanut butter.
- chia seeds - often referred to as a superfood, chia seeds can help you stay hydrated, which is perfect after a workout. They also are packed with healthy omega-3s, calcium, phosphorus, and fiber.
Why ultra-filtered milk after exercising?
You may have seen athletes drinking chocolate milk after marathons or games. Chocolate milk has high water content, protein, and calcium -- all great for helping your bones and muscles recover from exercise.
Darigold FIT chocolate milk is ultra-filtered. You may have seen this term more in the last few years as well.
Ultra-filtered milk means the milk has been pushed through a filter that separates the components of the liquid, removing the lactose. The remaining nutrients are combined with milk and lactase enzymes, resulting in a lactose-free milk that has more protein and less sugar than regular unfiltered milk.
The Darigold FIT ultra-filtered chocolate milk has 75% more protein than regular chocolate milk. And, it has 40% less sugar per serving than chocolate milk. More protein and less sugar is what you want right after a workout.
Plus, it tastes amazing!! I love the richness, the creaminess of this chocolate milk. So much more than traditional chocolate milk, which tends to taste too saccharine sweet for my taste.
How do you make this post-workout protein shake?
Making this delicious post-workout shake couldn't be any easier. Simply add all of the ingredients into a high-powered blender and blend until smooth. Then pour into a glass and enjoy!
Optional additional ingredients
Like most smoothies and shakes, you can make this post-workout protein shake more to your personal taste preference. Some ideas:
- sprinkle in some chocolate chips
- add a scoop of collagen powder
- use a frozen banana instead of fresh
- add flaxseed
- make it a mocha-flavored shake by adding some mocha-flavored instant coffee or a few teaspoons of coffee
- add some vanilla
Have you tried Ultra-filtered milk yet?
Be sure to read my post What Is Ultra-Filtered Milk? to learn more about this yummy high protein, low sugar, lactose-free milk!
Post-Workout Protein Shake
- 1 cup Ultra-Filtered chocolate milk
- 1 banana
- 1 cup ice
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Add all ingredients to a high-powered blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a glass and enjoy!