Looking for the perfect BBQ side dish recipe? This Corn with Basil Lime Butter recipe goes so well with vegetarian and meat BBQ entrees, and is delicious all on its own!
Memorial Day Weekend is upon us! Are you firing up the grill for a BBQ or planning any picnic fun this weekend?
This holiday weekend is always Birthday Boy Weekend in our house: my husband and my son have birthdays four days apart. We don’t have any big plans to host a gathering, as we’re trying to enjoy the fact that we’re all in the same house for a bit before one of us parents has to travel again. So lots of family time – eating, catching up on Netflix, enjoying the outdoors, going to the movies, reading.
Side note: I just finished Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah last night. Have you read it? I loved The Nightingale and so much wanted to love this one too…
Anywhoo… whether you are hosting a big BBQ, picnic, party, or just looking for a delicious and easy side dish that takes no time at all, try my Corn with Basil Lime Butter. This is a dish I have made for several years, for so many different occasions and regular ol’ family dinners, and it always hits the spot!
Perfect BBQ Side Dish Recipe: Corn with Basil Lime Butter
Corn is hands down my absolute FAVORITE side dish to serve at barbecues and picnics. First, I just love corn – always have. Second, my kids have always loved corn too. If you’re a parent, you know that if you find a veggie that your kids love, you serve it at every opportunity!
We made this corn for the early summer soiree recently. For that gathering, I cut the kernels off the cob, placed them into a bowl and mixed with the basil lime butter.
Eat-With-Your-Hands Party Version
You can also keep the corn on the cobs intact and slather the buttery basil lime goodness over the cobs and serve them that way. I like to serve corn on the cob for gatherings that are more focused on food you can eat with your hands. In fact, an eat-with-your-hands party is perfect for summer! Here’s your easy & tasty party menu:
- a big pile of ribs
- some hot dogs and/or burgers (meat or veggie!)
- a cheese, crackers & charcuterie plate
- finger-food fruits like grapes, cantaloupe and watermelon slices, and oranges
- and then add the perfect BBQ side dish recipe: this corn on the cob with basil lime butter!
Corn with Basil Lime Butter Recipe
- 6-8 ears of corn
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, tightly packed and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- sprinkling of parmesan cheese (optional)
- salt & pepper
- In a large stockpot, add enough water to cover ears of corn; heavily salt. Bring water to a boil, then add ears of corn and cook until tender, about 7-10 minutes.
- While water is boiling and corn is cooking, make the basil lime butter by melting butter in a large microwave safe bowl, then adding garlic, lime juice, and basil. Stir together.
- Baste cooked corn with basil lime butter. Serve either on the cob, or cut kernels off the cob and serve in a large bowl (as shown here). Sprinkle with a healthy amount of parmesan cheese if you wish, and salt and pepper.