Need a versatile weeknight chicken recipe? This Instant Pot Shredded Chicken is tender, flavorful, and has so many meal options!
Are you still loving your Instant Pot?
I still like mine, but I’m not using it every night like some folks I know do. When I do use my Instant Pot, I want it to have impact, you know? I want to produce a dish that can be used for two meals or at least give me meal options.
This Instant Pot Shredded Chicken recipe achieves both of those goals. It’s super versatile, and so flavorful.
It’s the perfect Instant Pot recipe to make when you want the main course to do double duty: use it for one dish the first night, and then use the leftovers in a completely different recipe the next night!
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
I use shallots because I love the extra little sweetness they have compared to standard onions, and they’re milder than yellow or white onions. That said, you can absolutely use regular onions in place of shallots if that’s what you have on hand.
After sautéing the chicken in the instant pot a bit until it’s browned on all sides, you then sauté the shallots, garlic, and spices, return the chicken to the instant pot, and then cook the chicken. It comes together fairly quickly, and makes a tender, juicy chicken that shreds easily.
Meal Ideas for Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
I love using this instant pot shredded chicken with a big salad. It’s perfect to top a big bowl of spinach & arugula, topped with the salsa shredded chicken, sliced avocados, diced tomatoes, red onions, bacon, mango… and drizzled with creamy avocado lime dressing on top.
Other fantastic ways you can enjoy this Instant Pot Shredded Chicken:
- spice up your Taco Tuesdays: this chicken is amazing in tacos!
- instead of pulled pork use the shredded chicken to make a juicy stacked sandwich.
- make a shredded chicken rice bowl with cilantro, black beans, tomatoes, avocados, and corn
- nachos, nachos, nachos! Load them up with a pile of shredded chicken, shredded cheese (or dairy-free cheese), olives, tomatoes, bacon.
Wine Bliss: Pair it with these white wines
I love pairing this shredded chicken with a Pinot Gris. This white wine tends to have lovely melon and citrus fruit flavors with nice minerality, which helps it pair well with a variety of foods. I thought it especially went well with the mild spices in the chicken, and the mango and avocado in the salad.
Try these Pinot Gris wines:
Lange Winery Pinot Gris ($28)
A to Z Winery Pinot Gris ($18)
Rainstorm Pinot Gris ($14)
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 tbsp shallots, thinly sliced
- 4-6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 2 tsp chili powder
- dash salt & pepper
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) diced tomatoes, undrained
- juice from 1 lime
- Season both sides of chicken pieces.
- Turn your Instant Pot to SAUTÉ setting. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Once it's hot, add chicken to the instant pot in a single layer. It's ok if they touch, but try not to overlap so that the chicken sautés evenly; you may need to work in batches. Sauté until both sides are browned, then remove and place on a plate.
- Add remaining tablespoon olive oil to the Instant Pot, along with the shallots, garlic, paprika, chili powder, and sprinkle of salt and pepper. Sauté until shallots are slightly softened, about 2-3 minutes. Hit CANCEL
- Stir in can of tomatoes (undrained, with the juice), lime juice, and add back the chicken to the instant pot. Try to place the chicken in a single layer if possible. Chicken will touch and overlap, but just be sure they're not stacked directly on top of one another.
- Close the lid and lock. Press PRESSURE COOK (or MANUAL, depending on your Instant Pot), and cook for 10 minutes. Once Instant Pot comes to pressure and starts to countdown, allow natural pressure for 5 minutes and then use tongs and/or oven mitts to turn valve to Quick Vent for remaining 5 minutes. Once pin is down completely and it has finished venting, carefully open the lid, turn the Instant Pot off.
- Stir the chicken so it can soak up the sauces a bit, then remove to a separate bowl. Shred chicken with two forks. Serve immediately, as desired. (see meal ideas in the post)
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, SHARE IT ON INSTAGRAM WITH #URBANBLISSLIFE AND TAG @URBANBLISSLIFE. I’D LOVE TO SEE WHAT YOU MAKE! AND IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE, PLEASE DO ME A HUGE FAVOR AND LEAVE A STAR RATING. THANK YOU, SWEET FRIENDS!
What dish would you enjoy this Instant Pot Shredded Chicken?