It’s BBQ season and these Grilled Honey Garlic Chicken Skewers are sweet and tangy. Such an easy summer dish that’s packed with flavor!
As soon as the temperatures hit 75 degrees in Portland, I declare it the unofficial start of summer!
This is when we pop open the grill and fire up yummy summery eats to enjoy while dining outside.
These Honey Garlic Chicken Skewers are inspired by the chicken skewers I grew up eating as a child. My dad was (and still is!) the grill master, and he always made chicken kabobs that were so juicy, tender, and flavorful.
The recipe I’m sharing here is my easy version of those yummy BBQ chicken skewers!
What do you need to make this grilling recipe?
For this dish, you’ll need boneless, skinless chicken thighs. You could use chicken breasts if that’s what you have, but from years of making this dish, I can tell you that chicken thighs always come out more juicy and tender, and truly flavorful.
The ingredients for the chicken marinade are Asian pantry staples. Most of them have quite a long shelf life. So if you enjoy cooking Asian dishes, consider keeping these items in stock:
- oyster sauce
- chili garlic sauce
- dijon mustard
Optional ingredients are the green onions/scallions and sesame seeds. I like the additional color and texture that they add to the skewers. I also like the extra hit of freshness that the green onions add at the end. But you can certainly leave them out if you prefer.
How do you make Honey Garlic Chicken Skewers?
To make these honey garlic chicken skewers, start with making the marinade. Combine the marinade ingredients, save 1/3 cup and reserve it for later. Pour the remaining marinade in a large ziplock bag and place the chicken in it. Marinade chicken in the refrigerator for at least two hours, but preferably overnight.
Once you’re ready to grill, remove the chicken from the refrigerator and place on skewers. Grill over medium heat until the chicken is cooked thoroughly (to an internal temperature of 165°F). This takes about 10 minutes.
Garnish and serve!
Full measurements and directions are in the printable recipe card below.
Tips for making the best barbecue grilled chicken
- You can substitute lamb, beef, pork, or even vegetables for the chicken. Just be sure to cut your meat into even-sized cubes.
- Soak skewers in water for at least 30 minutes before adding the chicken and grilling. This helps prevent the skewers from burning while grilling.
- Take care not to crowd your grill and give each skewer some breathing room around it. This helps ensure more even cooking.
- Use a meat thermometer to ensure your chicken is cooked thoroughly to 165° degrees Fahrenheit.
What do you serve with grilled chicken?
This grilled chicken goes well with so many different side dishes. From traditional BBQ side dishes to accompaniments with an Asian flavor, you’ll find that these skewers are versatile and delicious when enjoyed with dishes like these:
- Tomato Cucumber Salad
- Jasmine rice
- Corn with Basil Lime Butter
- Filipino Lumpia Shanghai (Filipino egg rolls)
- Melon and prosciutto Caprese salad
- Avocado Corn Salad
What wine pairs well with grilled honey garlic chicken?
A medium- to full-bodied Chardonnay goes well with most grilled chicken recipes.
However, since this chicken recipe has an Asian-style marinade, I suggest pairing it with a Sauvignon Blanc. This crisp and aromatic white wine, with its hints of citrus and green grass, goes beautifully with this particular honey garlic chicken recipe.
My pick: the Browne Family Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc ($24) from Walla Walla, Washington.
More Grilling Recipes
- Greek Chicken Souvlaki Recipe
- Simple Lemon Grilled Chicken with Fresh Herbs
- Peach Bourbon Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Pineapple Chicken
- Ginger Grilled Chicken With Cider
Grilled Honey Garlic Chicken Skewers
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp chili garlic sauce
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 – 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- In a medium bowl, combine oyster sauce, ketchup, honey, chili garlic sauce, Dijon, garlic, ginger and 1 tablespoon water. Reserve 1/3 cup and set aside.
- In a gallon size Ziploc bag or large bowl, combine oyster sauce mixture and chicken; marinate for at least 2 hours to overnight, up to 8 hours, turning the bag occasionally. Drain the chicken from the marinade.
- Thread chicken onto skewers. Brush with canola oil; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Add skewers to grill, and cook, turning occasionally, until the chicken is completely cooked through, reaching an internal temperature of 165 degrees F, about 10 minutes. Brush skewers with reserved oyster sauce mixture, cooking for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Serve immediately, garnished with green onions and sesame seeds, if desired.