While I love baking year-round, I hold a special place in my heart for holiday desserts. There’s something extra blissful about baking cookies, pies, cakes, and making holiday candy and packaging them up to give to others this time of year, especially my easy biscotti recipe: Gingerbread Butterscotch Biscotti.
I’ve been craving biscotti recently, those twice baked Italian cookies that are perfect for dunking in cocoa or coffee. The weather has been blustery and wintery and I hadn’t made biscotti in a very long time. Now, you may not automatically think of biscotti when you think of holiday baking, but it’s easy to make these delightful cookies festive by simply adding some classic holiday flavors like ginger and cinnamon.
Gingerbread Butterscotch Biscotti
If you’ve never made biscotti from scratch before, it’s easier than you might think!
Biscotti may seem more difficult to make compared to regular cookies, but they’re really not. The main difference is that these are twice-baked. You bake them first as two cookie logs. Then, remove and slice them into individual biscotti cookies. Finally, you bake them again one more time.
Otherwise, the steps are similar to making almost any other batch of cookies. And just like any other baking recipe, the best holiday desserts start with the best ingredients.
Bob’s Red Mill
When possible, I try to use local, organic products. If you’re going to indulge, why not use the best ingredients possible, right?
Bob’s Red Mill is an awesome food company that produces some of the finest baking products and more. It’s headquartered just outside of Portland, Oregon.
I grew up with such deep respect for the brand, and was honored to meet Bob Moore recently on a food tour. Yes, there actually is a real Bob of Bob’s Red Mill!
If you’re in town, be sure to stop by the Bob’s Red Mill factory. You can reserve a spot on one of their tours! No matter where you live, you can also visit Bob’s Red Mill online. And, their products are sold at most grocery stores and specialty food stores nationwide.
For this easy biscotti recipe, I used equal parts Bob’s Red Mill Organic Unbleached White All Purpose White Flour and Bob’s Red Mill Organic Whole Wheat Flour.
The Organic Unbleached All-Purpose White Flour is a longtime kitchen staple in my home. It’s a high protein flour that is freshly milled from organic hard red wheat. And it is not enriched with any additives. I’ve found that using this particular all-purpose flour produces light and airy baked goods — which is what we want!
I decided to use the Organic Whole Wheat Flour as well because it adds a nice depth to the biscotti. This Whole Wheat Flour is stone -ground from organic hard red wheat. It maintains all of the nutritious bran and germ still intact.
Baking tips for this easy biscotti recipe
Another thing to note: the additional toppings of melted white chocolate and melted butterscotch chips are optional.
I think it tastes better with it, and you don’t have to make them look super fancy. Mine are clearly not fancy or anywhere near perfect – just 100% fun and tasty! But if you’re looking to make this recipe even easier and faster, you could forego the final decorative steps. However, they do add a delicious extra sweetness and somewhat soften the cookies, so I highly recommend it.
My husband and I can’t stop eating these Gingerbread Butterscotch Biscotti. We love them with or without having coffee or hot cocoa to dunk them in. I think you’ll love this easy biscotti recipe, too! They are the perfect any day sweet treat or packaged up nicely as part of your holiday cookie exchanges.
More holiday dessert ideas
Gingerbread Butterscotch Biscotti
- 1-1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cup wheat flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon all spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients (flour through salt).
- In another bowl or stand mixer, beat eggs, egg white, molasses and melted butter.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until well blended.
- Stir in butterscotch chips until just incorporated. Do not over-mix! Your dough should look like this:
- Separate dough and form two logs of biscotti about 12″ long and 1/2″ thick.
- Place on cookie sheet with parchment paper and bake at 350 degrees for 20-22 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly, then transfer to a cutting board and use a serrated knife to slice biscotti cookies. Return sliced cookies to the cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Return to oven and bake at 300 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in one small bowl, melt 8 ounces of white chocolate in the microwave. Then melt 1/2 cup butterscotch chips.
- When biscotti cookies are done baking, remove from the oven and let cool at room temperature for a couple of minutes. Then dip one side of each biscotti into the melted white chocolate and place on wax or parchment paper to set. Once the white chocolate is set, drizzle the melted butterscotch over each biscotti.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls. The content and opinions expressed here are all my own. I LOVE Bob’s Red Mill products and think you will, too!