Dutch Oven Shepherd’s Pie is the ultimate comfort food, packed with veggies, ground beef, and topped with creamy mashed potatoes. PLUS: enter to win your very own Finex 5-Quart Cast Iron Dutch Oven with Lid + 10″ Skillet!
When you think of comfort food, what comes to mind?
Shepherd’s Pie is one of those dishes that definitely falls under the Comfort Food Recipe category for me.
Dutch Oven Shepherd’s Pie
I like to make a classic shepherd’s pie in a Dutch Oven. This one goes straight from stovetop to oven to table, thanks to the gorgeous Finex 5-Quart Dutch Oven you see in these photos (read on for my giveaway!).
This is the best shepherd’s pie recipe: hearty and satisfying, and packed with veggies and protein. I use the classic combo of carrots, peas, celery, and corn. You can almost add any of your fave other veggies to this dish. Just make sure you chop the veggies up to a uniform size and shape so that they all cook evenly.
One-pot meals like this are some of my favorites during busy weeknights. But they also make amazing dishes to bring to potlucks and holiday gatherings.
Sure you can add a side salad, but you can also just enjoy a serving of this shepherd’s pie with a glass of wine by the fireplace, and it’s allllll good.
Finex Cast Iron Dutch Oven + Skillet GIVEAWAY ($475 value)
Love the look of this awesome Finex dutch oven seen here, and the cast iron skillet I used in my recent Skillet Apple Cranberry Crisp recipe? Trust me: you’ll also LOVE to cook with them, too — and you can enter to win a set!
I’m so excited to be partnering with Finex to give away a 5-Quart Cast Iron Dutch Oven with Lid PLUS a 10″ Cast Iron Skillet (the lid fits both!). This Cast Iron Dutch Oven + 10″ Skillet Duo is normally priced at $475.
If you are not on Instagram: simply leave a comment below and you will be entered to win as well! I’m accepting entries both on this blog and on Instagram, because some of you have indicated that you’re not on Instagram (why?? Instagram is the best! I love chatting with all of you on Instagram Stories every day!). One giveaway prize set, two ways to enter to win!
DEADLINE TO ENTER: MONDAY DECEMBER 3, 2018 11:59pm. Must be 18 years or older to and live in the continental US to win. The winner must respond within 24 hours of notification via Instagram or email. If the first winner does not respond within that time frame, that person immediately forfeits the prize and another winner will be selected and notified. Winner must be able to provide a valid shipping address (street address; not a PO address). Winner is selected at random, and the decision is final. Finex is responsible for shipping product to the winner.
Good luck! I absolutely LOVE the Finex Cast Iron Cookware pieces that I have and use them almost daily. I know you will love them, too!
Dutch Oven Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
Shepherd's Pie Filling
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1 cup yellow onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and chopped into 1" pieces (about 3 large carrots)
- 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup corn, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup celery, chopped (2 stalks)
- 1 tsp oregano leaves (fresh or dried)
- 1 tsp thyme (fresh or dried)
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup water
Mashed Potato Topping
- 4 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup milk (I use almond milk; you can use any milk you prefer)
- salt & pepper
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the beef, onion, garlic, salt and pepper, and cook for about 5 minutes, until the beef has browned.
- Add the broth, carrots, peas, corn, celery, oregano and thyme. Stir and cook on medium heat, uncovered, for five minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low. In a small bowl, combine flour and water until well blended, then pour over the filling in the dutch oven. Stir together. Reduce heat to low, and cover.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and then make the mashed potato topping.
- Add potatoes to a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, and boil until potatoes are fork tender, about 12-13 minutes. Drain potatoes and return to the pot.
- Add the butter and mash potatoes until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the Dutch oven with the filling from the heat, and top with the mashed potatoes, smoothing into an even topping layer.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° F for about 30 minutes. To create a slightly browned, slightly crisp top, turn on the broiler at the end of the 30 minutes and broil for about 5 minutes. Watch the oven to make sure the top doesn't burn.
- Serve immediately.
Disclosure: I partnered with Finex Cookware for this giveaway. As always, all opinions and photos are my own.