If you like crispy chicken wings, you will LOVE these Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings!
The Big Game is Sunday! What game day food will you be serving?
If you’re like most Americans, you’ll likely be stuffing your face with some chicken wings while cheering on your fave team. According to the National Chicken Council’s Annual Chicken Wing Report (yes, that’s a thing!), Americans are projected to eat 1.4 billion chicken wings on Super Bowl Sunday.
1.4 BILLION wings. In one day!
So I think if you’re going to be eating wings this weekend, you had better be serving some MIGHTY TASTY wings. Right?
The Best Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings
But this air fryer chicken wings recipe, you guys, is THE BEST wings recipe I’ve ever tested for the blog. Truly!
And one of the best parts? It’s also the EASIEST wings recipe I’ve ever made!
How to Make Air Fryer Chicken Wings
Making chicken wings in the air fryer couldn’t be easier.
- Season the chicken wings.
- Lightly oil the bottom of the air fryer insert.
- Place the chicken wings in one layer; you will likely need to air fry these in two batches.
- Air fry at 380°F for 12 minutes. Flip over the wings. Air fry at 400°F for another 12 minutes.
The result? The crispiest, juiciest, tastiest chicken wings you can serve for game day, or any day!
Are air fryer chicken wings healthy?
Because you are not deep frying these beautiful wings, this recipe is healthier than traditional fried wings. Air frying requires much less oil, so air fried wings tend to be lower in fat and calories.
That said, these are still chicken wings. The air fryer does not magically turn them into vegetables (wouldn’t THAT be an amazing new appliance?). But if you’re going to have fried chicken, then using this air fryer recipe is a healthier cooking option for sure!
What’s the secret to making air fryer wings crispy?
The best part about using an air fryer is that you don’t sacrifice flavor or texture at all. These air fryer wings are super crispy (just the way I love them!) thanks to a light coating of arrowroot starch flour.
Like regular flour, arrowroot is often used as a thickener in recipes with sauces, gravy, or soup. Unlike all-purpose flour, arrowroot is gluten-free. It’s also vegan, paleo, and full of potassium, iron, and vitamin B.
You can also use cornstarch or potato starch and get a similar crispy skin. However, arrowroot starch flour contains more dietary fiber and more calcium than other starches. And, you truly only need a little bit – about 2 tablespoons per 3 pounds of wings – to help make these wings crispy.
I do NOT recommend using all-purpose flour, as the consistency is different and you won’t get the same kind of crispiness. AP flour is great when making air fryer popcorn chicken, but not as fabulous for wings. Also, AP flour typically requires a little more oil to achieve the same crispy skin.
Can I air fry frozen wings?
Some people say you can air fry frozen wings… But much like I tell my children all the time: just because you CAN, doesn’t mean you SHOULD! ;)
If you try to air fry frozen wings, they are likely to cook up unevenly. That leads to sad chicken. No one wants to eat sad chicken.
So if you do happen to have frozen wings you want to use for this recipe, simply thaw them completely before you start seasoning them for the air fryer.
What to serve with air fryer chicken wings?
For an Asian flavor, make this tangy Lime Cilantro Soy Sauce.
For a more traditional batch of wings, make this easy, yummy Dairy-Free Buttermilk Ranch Sauce.
Which Air Fryer Should I Buy?
We have this Air Fryer. It’s made by GoWise, one of the leaders in the air fryer market. It’s 5.8 quart, XL size, and is an 8-in-1 model. The extra large basket capacity makes this air fryer perfect for families with three people or more.
Interested in checking out the air fryer we use? Here it is, plus a couple of other air fryer options.
More Easy Chicken Recipes
- Instant Pot Tuscan Chicken Pasta (Dairy-Free)
- Instant Pot Lemon Garlic Chicken
- Air Fryer Popcorn Chicken: Make Once, Eat Twice Recipe
- Instant Pot Filipino Chicken Adobo
- Healthy 30-Minute Instant Pot Moroccan Chicken
- Classic Chicken Marsala Recipe
Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings Recipe
Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- air fryer
- light oil* to grease the air fryer basket
- 3 lbs chicken wings
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch flour (can substitute potato starch or cornstarch)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Lightly oil the bottom of the air fryer basket.
- Pat all sides of chicken wings dry. Place in a large bowI and sprinkle arrowroot starch flour over, then use your hands to lightly coat all of the wings evenly. Season wings with salt and pepper. Place wings in a single even layer at the bottom of the air fryer insert.
- Air fry at 380°F for 12 minutes. Turn wings over, then air fry at 400°F for another 12 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature!