This is the Best Chocolate Chip Banana Bread recipe that my family loves! It's packed with sweet banana, oats, and chocolate chips. It's the perfect after school snack, breakfast or brunch dish!
And over and over again. Like our favorite playlist on repeat.
When it comes to feeding my family, I'm like most of you: when I hit the jackpot and make recipes that every family member loves, I'm going to make those recipes regularly.
You have your tried-and-true favorites, too, right?
Today I'm re-sharing an easy banana bread recipe that our family has loved and reworked and perfected. It is truly the BEST chocolate chip banana bread recipe. We've been making it for 20+ years and the kids LOVE it!
What you need to make this chocolate chip banana bread
Banana bread is the classic Go To recipe when you've got ripe bananas.
In addition to ripe bananas you'll need just a few basic ingredients that are pantry staples:
- large eggs - for the smoothest batter, take the eggs out of the refrigerator about an hour before you start baking. Room temperature eggs tend to incorporate better into any baking batter than cold eggs.
- light brown sugar - make sure you pack your measuring cup to get the appropriate amount
- vegetable oil - this is one of the cases where I do NOT recommend substituting a different oil. Vegetable oil is what makes this bread nice and moist.
- all purpose flour
- baking soda
- baking powder
- ground cinnamon
- quick-cooking oats
- low-fat milk - you could use almond milk instead
- semi-sweet chocolate chips - you could also use mini chocolate chips for the batter if your prefer.
How many loaves does this banana bread recipe make?
This recipe makes one big loaf, or you can split it into two smaller loaves. I've made muffins out of this recipe as well. The muffins turn out fine, but it's really best enjoyed as a loaf.
My kids L-O-V-E this chocolate chip banana bread recipe. The way they devour this each time I make it, I'm convinced that they could eat a whole loaf almost every single day and be happy.
One of the things I love about this chocolate chip banana bread is how versatile this is. You could enjoy this dish for breakfast, at lunch, as an after-school snack, or mid-afternoon pick-me-up. You could even drizzle some melted chocolate over slices. Then, top with a dollop of whipped cream and eat it as dessert!
When it comes to family favorite recipes, this is seriously the best chocolate chip banana bread recipe. It's definitely at the top of my family's Go To list. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
More Family Favorite Recipes
- Tri-Pepper Turkey Pasta
- Easy Shrimp Lo Mein
- My Filipino Fried Rice with Bacon or Sausage
- Taco Mac and Cheese: a competition-worthy recipe
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees
- In a stand mixer or a large bowl with a hand mixer, beat first four ingredients (brown sugar through eggs) on medium speed until well mixed.
- In a separate bowl, mash together bananas, oats, and milk until well blended. Add to the sugar mixture.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet mixture in the mixer and beat on medium speed until just combined. Stir in ½ cup chocolate chips.
- Add batter to 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray or lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips evenly over the batter.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 to 55 minutes, just until the middle is solid and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool for at least 5 minutes on a rack before slicing and serving.
I originally published this recipe on Urban Bliss Life in September 2009. It has been updated with new photos in August 2018, and content has been updated on February 5, 2020. But the yumminess of this banana bread recipe remains the same: delicious, sweet snacking goodness!