It’s so easy to make this homemade bbq seasoning recipe! Use this best BBQ Rub on steaks, pork ribs, chicken and just about anything else you can grill.
While I am a big fan of shortcuts in the kitchen (like using store-bought phyllo dough instead of spending all day making it from scratch!), one of the foods I almost always make from scratch is bbq seasoning.
I mean, I always have the ingredients on hand and it is SO gosh darn easy to make!
And now that the sun is starting to shine more, I thought it would be the perfect time to share my favorite SUPER SIMPLE BBQ seasoning recipe with you. It truly is, in my humble opinion , the best BBQ rub you can make in less than 5 minutes!
What is BBQ seasoning made of?
The simplest and most delicous BBQ seasoning recipe that I make consists of just FOUR ingredents – plus salt and pepper.
My fave spices to include in bbq dry rub include:
- brown sugar
- chili powder
That’s it! So simple, right?
The brown sugar gives it a touch of sweetness while the chili powder adds a touch of heat (not too much! Add more if you want). Then the paprika gives the seasoning a bit of smoky flavor.
I always prefer fresh garlic to garlic powder. And in this recipe, it helps make whatever you are cooking with the dry rub taste super fresh.
How to make the best BBQ rub
All you need to do to make this homemade BBQ seasoning recipe is to combine all of the ingredients in a bowl. Then, transfer to a medium-sized mason jar and refrigerate for up to two weeks.
How do you use BBQ spice rubs?
I’ve found that this BBQ seasoning recipe is the best BBQ rub to use on my Instant Pot BBQ Ribs (shown above, with an additional sprinkling of fresh herbs for a fun twist). When used along with my homemade sweet BBQ sauce, these ribs are always a big hit!
In addition to ribs, try this best BBQ rub on:
- pork chops (we’ve done it, and it’s awesome!)
- chicken breasts or thighs for BBQ sandwiches or salads
- chicken drumsticks for grilling
- burgers – I’d mix it into the burger meat as you are forming the burgers.
This BBQ seasoning also makes for a fabulous gift for the BBQ lovers in your life. Simply place in a mason jar, make a fun label and/or tie a ribbon around the lid, and gift!
How long does this homemade BBQ dry rub stay fresh?
Because it has fresh garlic in it, this dry rub is best kept in a jar in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
If you don’t have fresh garlic, you can substitute garlic powder. This substitution also makes the rub shelf-stable for a couple of months!
More BBQ recipes
- Backyard BBQ: Party Ideas
- Perfect BBQ Side Dish Recipe: Corn with Basil Lime Butter
- Instant Pot BBQ Ribs with Homemade BBQ Sauce
- Steak Pesto Recipe: Grilled Steak with Cilantro Almond Pesto
Homemade BBQ Seasoning/BBQ Dry Rub
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix together well. You can also add to a mason jar, seal, and shake the jar until all of the spices are well combined.