Instant Pot BBQ Ribs with Homemade BBQ Sauce is fall-off-the-bone tender and tangy, and ready in just about 30 minutes!
Food trends come and go. As a food blogger, I watch and try to assess which ones I think will last, and which ones will fade quickly.
The Instant Pot phenomenon started a few years ago, and I spent the first few years being super skeptical about this new fangled contraption. If you’re not familiar with the Instant Pot (we’ll call it IP for short here on out), it’s mostly an updated pressure cooker that also is capable of being a slow cooker, steamer, rice cooker, yogurt maker, and more.
Instant Pot Love
I finally just jumped on the bandwagon and bought an 8-quart Instant Pot Duo. I’m happy to report that the IP really DOES do all that and a bag of chips!
The first meal my husband and I prepared in our Instant Pot was (aside from the boil water test) BBQ Ribs.
Upon recommendation from my Food, Wine, and Travel Bliss Facebook group, and other Facebook groups (the Instant Pot communities are STRONG on Facebook!), I followed these directions for cooking ribs in the IP. These are also similar to the directions and dry rub recipe found in The Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker Cookbook.
It was SO easy!
I adapted the spice rub, and instead of store-bought BBQ sauce, I added our special homemade BBQ sauce as the finishing touch.
You’ll actually start making the sauce first. It’s a very simple one-pot recipe, which allows you to combine all ingredients, bring to a boil, and then simmer on low while the ribs are cooking.
If you want maximum flavor, you can start the sauce 30 minutes before you start making the ribs. That way, the sauce simmers for a full hour from start to finish, and the spices have even more time to mingle and the sauce is even more flavorful.
These ribs came out PERFECT. They were juicy, tender, moist…everything you want ribs to be.
And it only too 25 minutes to cook in the Instant Pot, and then a 5-minute finish in the broiler. AMAZING!!
These ribs are perfect for:
- Game Day, tailgating/homegating parties
- 4th of July barbecues
- busy weeknight dinners
- potlucks and picnics
- feeding the whole hungry family!
Instant Pot BBQ Ribs Recipe
Instant Pot BBQ Ribs with Homemade BBQ Sauce
Instant Pot ribs
- 1 rack of baby back pork ribs
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large garlic clove finely minced
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 5 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
Make the BBQ Sauce
- In a medium saucepot over medium-high heat, combine all ingredients. Stir well, and bring mixture to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer on low, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the ribs.
Make the Instant Pot BBQ Ribs
- In a medium bowl, combine brown sugar, garlic, chili powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Rub evenly over the ribs.
- Place rack insert inside the Instant Pot. Place ribs standing on their side inside, on top of the rack insert, and wrap around the inside of the pot.
- Carefully pour water, apple cider vinegar, and liquid smoke into the center of the pot, making sure you don't wash off any of the delicious seasoning on the ribs.
- Close and secure the lid. Make sure the vent is turned to SEALING. Press MEAT button and set to 25 minutes. After the timer starts when the Instant Pot is at full pressure, let the Instant Pot naturally release for 10 minutes, and then use tongs to carefully turn the knob to VENTING to Quick Release for the remaining 15 minutes.
- During this time, don't forget to stir the BBQ sauce once in a while!
- Once the pin is all the way down, indicating pressure has been released, carefully open the lid. Use tongs to remove the ribs from the pot, set on a foil-lined baking sheet, and brush with the barbecue sauce.
- Broil for 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Instant Pot directions adapted from two sources: The Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cookbook, and I Wash, You Dry.
Homemade BBQ Sauce recipe inspired by the Neely's BBQ Sauce.
I LOVE my Instant Pot now, and I love these BBQ ribs!
Do you have an Instant Pot? If so, what else do you love to make in it?