Homemade spinach pesto is easy to make in minutes and can be refrigerated or frozen to use for weeks and months to come!
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves well-washed and stemmed
- 1/2 cup cup fresh Italian flat leaf parsley
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese or dairy-free parmesan-style grated cheese alternative
- ¼ cup pine nuts
Place all ingredients into a food processor and process to a thick sauce-like consistency.
Taste and adjust the salt, pepper, and herbs to your taste preference. Use immediately.
If you want to have the parmesan cheese flavor but are dairy-free: I love and regularly use this dairy-free vegan parmesan-style grated cheese alternative
To refrigerate: spoon pesto into a glass mason jar or other glass container. Top the pesto with a thin coat of olive oil to prevent the top from discoloring. Spinach pesto will keep in the refrigerator for up to two weeks if stored this way.
To freeze: spoon pesto into individual ice cube trays, freeze, and then remove frozen cubes of pesto and place them in a freezer bag. Or, you can try this pesto freezing method that I learned about recently from TheKitchn.