Classic Shepherd's Pie
This classic shepherd's pie made in a Dutch oven is so flavorful -- the perfect comfort food.
Servings: 8 people
Shepherd's Pie Filling
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1 cup yellow onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and chopped into 1" pieces (about 3 large carrots)
- 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup corn, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup celery, chopped (2 stalks)
- 1 tsp oregano leaves (fresh or dried)
- 1 tsp thyme (fresh or dried)
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup water
Mashed Potato Topping
- 4 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup milk (I use almond milk; you can use any milk you prefer)
- salt & pepper
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the beef, onion, garlic, salt and pepper, and cook for about 5 minutes, until the beef has browned.
Add the broth, carrots, peas, corn, celery, oregano and thyme. Stir and cook on medium heat, uncovered, for five minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low. In a small bowl, combine flour and water until well blended, then pour over the filling in the dutch oven. Stir together. Reduce heat to low, and cover.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and then make the mashed potato topping.
Add potatoes to a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, and boil until potatoes are fork tender, about 12-13 minutes. Drain potatoes and return to the pot.
Add the butter and mash potatoes until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Remove the Dutch oven with the filling from the heat, and top with the mashed potatoes, smoothing into an even topping layer.
Bake, uncovered, at 350° F for about 30 minutes. To create a slightly browned, slightly crisp top, turn on the broiler at the end of the 30 minutes and broil for about 5 minutes. Watch the oven to make sure the top doesn't burn.