This Whole30 Salsa recipe is full of flavor and deliciously addictive! Perfect with chips, tacos, nachos, huevos rancheros, served simply over chicken, and more! And it takes just 15 minutes to make!
My name is Marlynn, and I have a salsa addiction.
I love, love, LOVE salsa! Not the spicy kind, mind you. But I like salsa over EVERYTHING. I’d choose salsa over ketchup any day.
Over the years, I’ve experimented with several different salsa styles and ingredients. Here’s what I’ve found to be the secret to homemade restaurant-style salsa.
Making Whole30, Restaurant-Style Salsa at Home
Quality ingredients are, as in most recipes, essential.
Tomatoes don’t grow year-round here, and it was a really odd season last year. So, the recipe I am sharing today calls for canned fire-roasted tomatoes. It’s important that you get the fire-roasted tomatoes, as these will have been canned and roasted at the peak of their freshness. They will also have that beautiful, slightly charred look and rich roasted flavor, compared to the brighter regular diced or stewed tomatoes.
If you DO have fresh, organic Roma tomatoes in season when you are making this recipe, then by all means, feel free to use those instead! Fresh roasted Roma tomatoes are soooo delicious, and make an amazing base for this salsa.
The ingredient list for my restaurant-style salsa is SO simple, and ingredients are Whole30 compliant.
It consists of:
- canned fire-roasted organic tomatoes (or fresh Roma tomatoes if they are in season)
- white onion
- red onion
Regarding spices, I prefer cumin, salt, and pepper. You can always add in some cayenne pepper or paprika if you’d like.
Whirl them all together in a food processor or blender, and BOOM: Whole30 salsa that takes like it’s from a restaurant, in 15 minutes!
Now, I do call this 15-minute Salsa, because it may take you longer to chop the onions. It really takes closer to 10 minutes.
I love this salsa because it’s packed with flavor, and easy to customize the heat to your personal preference. If you like it spicier, add more jalapeño.
I am a garlic fiend, so sometimes I will throw in an extra clove of garlic. Once you make this restaurant-style salsa, feel free to experiment with other add-in ingredients that you might like.
Salsa is so versatile, which is one of the many reasons I love it so. I use this restaurant-style salsa with:
- standard chips & dip
- over scrambled eggs in the morning
- as a base of Mexican-style dairy-free pizza (try it!)
- with tacos, burritos, and quesadillas
- as the sauce for making fresh taco pasta (as opposed to making it with Taco Tuesday leftovers)
- and so much more!
What would YOU also use this salsa for?
Whole30, Restaurant-Style Salsa Recipe
Whole30 Restaurant-Style Salsa
- 2 14 ounce cans of fire-roasted tomatoes, slightly drained
- 3 garlic cloves peeled
- 1 Tablespoon diced and seeded jalapeno
- 1 cup cilantro leaves de-stemmed and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a food processor, pulse all ingredients together until you reach your desired consistency.