The start of summer means it’s officially smoothie, slushies, and shakes season!
Oh, who are we kidding? Delicious smoothies, slushies, and shakes are ALWAYS in season, right? (Right!)
Ahh, but the sunshine beaming down on the kids running through sprinklers with the neighborhood kids, and me working on my laptop in the backyard definitely calls for sweet, ice cold treats.
Here’s a roundup of my favorite smoothie, slushie, and shake recipes. Cheers!
Strawberry Watermelon Slushies
When I originally shared this recipe, I shared it as a Strawberry Watermelon Smoothie recipe. However, I like to switch things up, and today I’m sharing how to make the original recipe into a Strawberry Watermelon Slushie.
2.5 cups watermelon, cut into small 1″ cubes
2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries
1/2 cup ice (less, if you are using frozen strawberries)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until completely blended. Pour into glasses. Sip through cute straws. Smile, it’s a tasty slushie!
TIP: To make this a smoothie, simply add 1 cup Greek vanilla yogurt instead of the ice.
Blissful Green Smoothie
[Visit my original Green Smoothie Recipe post]
handful of kale, chopped or ripped into chunks- about 3 good sized leaves should do
1 cucumber, peeled and cubed (English, standard – whatever your preference)
1 medium green apple, peeled and cubed
1 bunch of green grapes (anywhere from 1-2 cups; more if you want it sweeter, less if you don’t want it as sweet)
1/2 cup water (add more if you need it)
-1 teaspoon of finely minced fresh ginger
-1/2 cup cubed fresh pineapple
1. Prep the ingredients as described above.
2. Place in a blender or juicer. I use a regular boring old blender and it works perfectly fine (take that, you crazy Vitamix people).
3. Blend until it’s to a consistency of your liking.
4. Pour into a clear glass (this is very important: you really do need to see how beautiful this baby is in order to enjoy it fully), and drink!
Like most of my recipes, this is something you can easily add ingredients to, take ingredients away, put more or less of something to make it more to your liking. Smoothies are fun, so take the base of this and make it your own!
Berry Berry Smoothie
[Visit my original Berry Berry Smoothie recipe post]
1 8-ounce cup of Tillamook Light Yogurt Northwest Berry Patch
1 one banana
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup frozen or fresh strawberries
1/2 cup frozen or fresh blueberries.
Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. It’s the perfect afternoon summer snack!
Thin Mint Milkshakes
[Visit my original Thin Mint Milkshake Recipe post]
- 8 Girl Scouts Thin Mint cookies (plus more for garnish and general nibbling)
- 2.5 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup 1% milk
- WHIPPING CREAM:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
- Crumble cookies into a blender. Add vanilla ice cream, then milk.
- Blend all ingredients well until fully blended.
- In a stand mixer with a whip attachment, mix whipping cream and sugar on high for several minutes until stiff peaks form.
- Pour milkshake mixture into cups. Top with whipped cream, and garnish with a Thin Mint Cookie. Makes two milkshakes.