Two magic words in my book: honey bourbon.
I love making honey bourbon chicken, honey bourbon pulled pork, and honey bourbon truffles (that recipe is coming soon too, just in time for Valentine’s Day!) . I’ve also been working on making honey bourbon meatballs, experimenting with different ingredients over the past couple of years, and my last recipe turned out SO delicious that I could not stop eating them.
Slow Cooker Honey Bourbon Meatballs
This is a great recipe to serve at holidays, family gatherings, and to bring to potlucks. You”ll need a 5 or 6-quart slow cooker in order for the meatballs to cook well using the cooking times in my recipe. I love my 6-quart slow cooker. If you have a smaller slow cooker, try increasing the cooking time and be sure to stir the meatballs regularly to ensure they all get an equal chance to soak up some of the lovely honey bourbon sauce.
You can make your own meatballs (I love the Manchego Cheese-Stuffed Meatball recipe), but if you’re in a pinch, as I usually am, this recipe works SO well with pre-packaged meatballs found in the frozen section of your grocery store.
Dinner vs Party
This recipe makes a LOT of meatballs and is meant for large parties and gatherings. If you are making this for your family dinner, you can always freeze a portion for later. I recommend making the entire recipe, and taking half to serve for dinner. Then divide the remaining half into two separate freezer safe containers or ziplock bags. You can freeze those two servings for up to a month. Thaw out in the fridge before reheating.
Dinner Serving Suggestions
If you are making this for dinner for you and your family, here are some serving suggestions:
* Serve over yakisoba noodles with a side of cucumber salad.
* Enjoy over rice with a side of steamed broccoli.
* Include in meatball sandwiches, with traditional slaw fixings.
To serve these Slow Cooker Honey Bourbon Meatballs as a party appetizer, simply put toothpicks in each one and serve on a tray. Then watch them get gobbled up quickly!
- One PARTY SIZE package of frozen Italian-style meatballs about 96 meatballs
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup bourbon use less if you prefer!
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, mix together ketchup, honey, bourbon, brown sugar, and lemon juice.
- Place frozen meatballs in your slow cooker.
- Pour sauce mixture evenly over the meatballs. Stir to coat the meatballs as evenly as possible.
- Cook on high for one hour.
- Check on the meatballs and stir them occasionally, to evenly coat the meatballs with the sauce.
- After one hour, turn down the temperature to low and cook on low for 2 hours.