I just love making and giving sweet little homemade Valentine’s Day gifts. And my salted caramel sauce makes an ideal gift for those you love.
There’s something soothing and magical about spending an afternoon in the kitchen or craft room creating something special for friends, family, teachers, and others who touch your life in some way. It’s a simple gesture with deeper meaning.
For Valentine’s Day, after you print out those Valentine’s Day cards (you can download some original Urban Bliss designs here for free and some for super cheap!), consider making this very simple, easy, but delicious and sweet gift: Salted Caramel Sauce.
I love giving people gifts that have many uses. You can even print up a gift tag that has ideas for using Salted Caramel, such as:
- Drizzle salted caramel sauce over chocolate chip cookies
- Drizzle salted caramel sauce over your mocha or hot cocoa
- Salted caramel, chocolate drizzled brownies
- Mix into your popcorn for a delicious batch of salted caramel popcorn
This recipe whips up fairly quickly, in about 10 minutes, and makes enough to fill approximately four 8-ounce mason jars (with about 1/2 inch left at the top of each jar; I always like to leave a little bit of breathing room for the sauce). The last time I made this, I was able to get three 8-ounce mason jars and two 4-ounce mason jars.
Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- In a heavy 3-quart saucepan, melt the sugar and water over medium-high heat. Whisk constantly until the sugar is dissolved.
- Once the sugar mixture reaches a low boil, stop whisking and allow the mixture to continue boiling until it reaches a medium-dark amber color. This step can take a while, but be sure to watch the mixture carefully: if you step away, this is where it could burn. Every once in a while, swirl the pan to ensure even boiling.
- As soon as the sugar mixture reaches that dark amber color, take it off the heat and immediately add the butter. Whisk briskly until the butter melts completely.
- Slowly and carefully pour in the heavy cream and whisk to combine. The mixture may bubble as you whisk, which is normal.
- Keep whisking the mixture until it is a gorgeous, luscious caramel sauce.
- Pour the caramel sauce into glass jars to cool, uncovered.
Need More Valentine’s Day Gift Ideas?
Check out these Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Cracker Cookies