This Rosemary Citrus Old Fashioned cocktail is an excellent cold weather cocktail. The orange wakes you up with a bit of zing and the rosemary gives it a warm herbal, earthy taste to help round out the deep undertones from Pendleton Midnight Whisky.
Baby, it’s cold outside. So warm up with one (or two!) of these Rosemary Citrus Old Fashioned cocktails.
I’m a bourbon girl, and a big fan of whiskey cocktails. It’s hard to top a classic Old Fashioned, but there are so many great ways to add personal twists to the classic recipe and make it work for any season, for any occasion, and to suit a variety of different tastes.
Over the summer, I had the incredible honor of being the first non-industry person in Oregon to taste the brand new Pendleton Midnight, a 90 proof oak barrel-aged whisky. Maybe the Pendleton Whisky rep was telling that to all of the Portland food & drink writers, but after one sip, I didn’t care. All I could think was, “Oh, this is GOOD. More please!”
Pendleton Midnight is a rich, musky whisky with winter whispers of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger… which would also make this an AMAZING whisky to use in winter desserts as well (oh, you KNOW I have plans for that!).
Because it’s a full-bodied, smoky drink, I wanted to pair it with some citrus to lighten and brighten its mood up a bit. Then I added rosemary to round out the holiday spirit with this simple syrup.
If you wanted to get really fancy, you could garnish this Rosemary Citrus Old Fashioned cocktail with some candied oranges or even candied ginger.
I’m a mom of two who is trying to run two full-time businesses, manage a house, juggle holiday madness, etcetera etcetera, so there’s nothing fancy about ANYTHING in my life right now. But candied garnishes sound so lovely right now and if you can do it, I say go for it!
Pendleton Midnight is made by Hood River Distillers, Inc., with a brand new distillery open to the public in Hood River, Oregon. If you are traveling through Portland, be sure to make the hour drive out there to check it out! They are one of my favorite local distillers!
- 2 oz Pendleton Midnight Whisky or other dark whisky
- 1 oz rosemary syrup see below
- 3-4 drops bitters I use grapefruit but you could use any citrus bitters
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- Make the Rosemary Citrus Simple Syrup:
- In a small saucepan, combine 1/4 cup water, 2 tablespoons sugar, 3-5 orange slices, a few sprigs of fresh rosemary.
- Mix over medium heat until sugar has dissolved, which just takes a minute or so.
- Remove from heat, strain liquid into a separate bowl, and cool to room temperature.
- Stir whisky, 1 teaspoon rosemary citrus syrup, and bitters well in a shaker then pour over ice in a glass. Garnish with orange slices and a small sprig of rosemary.
What’s your favorite whisky cocktail? Or, if you don’t like whisky, what’s your favorite wintertime beverage?
Thanks to Pendleton Whisky for providing me with a sample to work with in creating this and other recipes. All opinions and photos are, as always, my own.