Add some tropical taste to your summer salsa with this easy, delicious pineapple salsa recipe!
Yesterday, I shared my latest summer grilling love: Grilled Pineapple Chicken.
While the chicken is so flavorful and tender and delicious on its own, I love layering flavors and textures so I made a salsa to go along with it. And what sort of salsa goes with Griller Pineapple Chicken?
A salsa with MORE pineapple, of course!
First, let’s talk about how delicious and summery this salsa is.
I added tomatoes because it’s a traditional salsa ingredient, for added color, and also because it soaks up the lime juice and the garlic and ginger as well as the pineapple does, and the flavor complements tropical fruits so well.
The mango gives you another layer of exotic flavor and the sweetness of the mango helps balance the tartness that can come with the puckery pineapple taste. The ginger, garlic, and cilantro help elevate the salsa and also make it a great pairing for food you’re grilling, such as the Grilled Pineapple Chicken.
Now let’s discuss just how EASY this salsa is to put together.
Chop the pineapple, mango, tomatoes, garlic, ginger, lime juice, and cilantro. Toss together.
SO ridiculously easy, right? That means you’ll have extra time on your hands to fancy up the presentation.
I love using hollowed out fruit that is used in a dish as a serving dish itself. Some fruits lend themselves easily to this: cantaloupe, watermelon, honeydew and, of course, pineapple.
If you want to use the pineapple for the salsa itself, cut the pineapple in half, and then use a knife to carefully cut out the inside without cutting through the sides or bottom of the pineapple. Then you can use the pineapple for the salsa.
When your salsa is ready, simply spoon into the hollowed out pineapple.
This pineapple salsa would go so well with:
- Grilled Pineapple Chicken
- Cider Grilled Chicken
- Substituted for the slaw in these Teriyaki Turkey Burgers
- As a topping for grilled hot dogs
- With a simple side of jasmine rice for a light vegetarian meal
- On a bed of lettuce as a salad
- With plain ol’ tortilla chips!
What else would you pair this pineapple salsa with?
- 2 cups chopped pineapple
- 1 chopped mango
- 2 chopped Roma tomatoes with seeds removed
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Can be made a day ahead and is best refrigerated and used within 3 days.
Kid Cooking Bliss
Here are some of the tasks that kids can help you with to make this recipe:
- With little kids who aren’t yet skilled at chopping, you can have them measure out the ingredients as/after you chop them.
- Older kids can carefully chop the mango, tomatoes, cilantro, garlic, ginger, and even the pineapple. Be sure to supervise, especially the pineapple, which can be tricky for even adults!
- Kids of all ages can help pick the cilantro leaves off the stems and discard the stems, add the lime juice, and they can help toss all ingredients together in a large bowl.