Looking for a tasty treat to make for your special pup? Try my Peanut Butter Pupcakes recipe!
We are definitely Dog People in my house. From experience, I can tell you that rescue dogs make the best dogs, and this guy definitely won us all over. We have loved and lost, and this guy helped us learn how to love again.
Two years ago, our family was blessed by #BlissDog: this adorable 65-pound guy, who was just two years old and about to turn three.
Peanut Butter Pupcakes
This past week, he turned the big FIVE. While we didn’t throw a party with friends over (my kids did ask), we baked him some Peanut Butter Pupcakes to commemorate the occasion (recipe below). Boy, was he excited!
Tips for Finding The Right Family Dog
Have you thought about getting a family dog, but are hesitant? My advice is to first do some online research about dog breeds and what type of dog might be right for you and your family.
Then, visit different rescue places. In Oregon, we love the Oregon Humane Society, where we found two previous awesome dogs, and Family Dogs New Life Shelter, where we found our current pup! Be sure to bring all family members with you, and give yourself plenty of time to visit with the dogs. Go a few different times. You will know when you’ve found The One.
Furry Family Bonds
Our pup is the sweetest, smartest, cuddliest companion, and our son’s best friend. The bond between these two is amazing, and we feel very lucky to have him in our kids’ lives. Dogs teach kids so much — about responsibility, kindness, caring, unconditional love. It also helps that he’s a pretty fierce guard dog, too, so we all feel nicely protected with him around.
If you have a special dog in your life, or you want to make some special homemade dog treats for a friend’s dog, try this recipe for Peanut Butter Pupcakes. It is SO easy to make and easy to adapt if your dog has allergies to any of the ingredients.
- - 1 large egg
- - 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons peanut butter
- - 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- - 1/3 cup honey
- - 1 cup shredded carrots
- - 1 cup whole wheat flour
- - 1 teaspoon baking soda
- - 1/3 cup quick cooking oats
- OPTIONAL: peanut butter for frosting dog biscuits or treats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a cupcake tin with 6-7 cupcake liners (we made 7).
- Combine the egg, peanut butter, oil, honey, and shredded carrots in a large bowl. Feel free to omit the honey if you'd like.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and oats. Add this to the carrot mixture, and stir until all ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Divide the mixture evenly among prepared cupcake liners.
- Bake for 15-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs on it and the tops are slightly golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack.