Buttermilk and blueberry pancakes are elevated to Special Breakfast and even Dessert status when layered into Pancake Cake Stacks with Fluffy Dairy-Free Chocolate Frosting!
February 28 is National Pancake Day!
Pancakes are one of my daughter’s most favorite foods in all the world. They’re in her Top Five, she says.
So when Krusteaz reached out to work with them on a National Pancake Day creation, of course I said yes!
My whole family loves Krusteaz pancake mixes. While I do most of the cooking throughout the week, my husband is usually in charge of pancakes over the weekend. We normally stick with the Buttermilk Pancake Mix, but we were so excited to try the Blueberry Pancake Mix as well.
We normally throw in some chocolate chips into the Buttermilk Pancake mix for half of the batch. But this time, I thought: why not make both Buttermilk AND Blueberry pancakes and layer then into a beautiful CAKE!
We flip over pancakes!
When making pancakes, you’ll want a high quality non-stick pan. We have used quite a few different brands over the years, but the one that has lasted longer than the others is a T-fal 10″ non-stick.
I was ecstatic when we received a 12″ T-fal non-stick pan recently. It is perfect for pancakes!
There are two things I love most about these pans. The first, is that they are truly non-stick, making flipping pancakes not just easy – but fun! The second is that they are incredible easy to clean. I’ve used the new pan now for pancakes, eggs, pasta sauces, a mean one-pot Mexican chicken and rice dinner (be sure to follow my Instagram stories for daily videos!). Within two weeks, I’ve used it more than a dozen times and I love it! It’s my new favorite pan!
The pancakes turn out so light and fluffy every time. SO good.
Fluffy Chocolate Frosting
The frosting I made to go between the layers of pancake yumminess is actually a dairy-free frosting. But seriously: you can’t tell. My daughter was shocked that it was dairy-free (she can usually sniff out coconut flavors from miles away).
I use coconut cream that is taken from a can of coconut milk that has been refrigerated, which usually is around 8 ounces of cream. However, you can also use a can of all coconut cream if you’d like. If you’re not worried about dairy intake and want to make a full-fat frosting, you could also use heavy cream instead.
Pancake Cake Stacks with Fluffy Chocolate Frosting
To make these pancake stacks, you basically follow the Krusteaz package directions for making 6-7 pancakes. It’s super easy – just add water! The pancakes made with Krusteaz mixes are so light and fluffy, and so flavorful. Have you tried them? They’re so good!
Then you make the fluffy chocolate frosting.
Finally, you start layering all of the yummy pancakes with a layer of the chocolate frosting in between.
You can stack these pancake cake stacks as low or as high as you want.
For individual servings, you might want to stick to a stack of four pancakes.
The one pictured here, we split into separate servings, and it easily serves two people.
I love topping these pancake cake stacks with fresh fruit.
You can also top with whipped cream, chopped hazelnuts, edible flowers – you name it.
Pancake Cake Stacks with Fluffy Chocolate Frosting Recipe
For the pancakes
- Krusteaz Buttermilk pancake mix
- Krusteaz Blueberry pancake mix
For the Fluffy Chocolate Frosting
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips I use a dairy-free brand to make this dairy-free
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Coconut cream skimmed from one refrigerated 13.5 ounce can of coconut milk you should get about 8 ounces of cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Follow the package directions to make 6-7 buttermilk pancakes and 6-7 blueberry pancakes.
- Set aside on a plate.
To make the fluffy chocolate frosting
- Place semi-sweet chocolate chips and dark chocolate chips in a large heatproof bowl. Set aside.
- Take the coconut cream out of the can of coconut milk, and drain the rest (save it in an airtight container for later, to make any of these recipes!) .
- Add coconut cream to a medium pot and bring to a boil.
- As soon as the cream comes to a boil, remove from heat and pour slowly over the chocolate chips.
- Whisk together until smooth.
- Refrigerate for one hour.
- Remove from refrigerator and whip at low-medium speed with a hand mixer until the color turns to a slightly lighter brown and the frosting is fluffy.
Assemble the pancake cakes
- Place one buttermilk pancake on a plate.
- Using a small spatula, spread just enough of the chocolate frosting to cover the pancake.
- Add one blueberry pancake on top and spread just enough of the chocolate frosting to cover the pancake.
- Repeat layers until you have your desired stack of pancakes, which is usually 5-8 pancakes.
- Enjoy immediately!
Interested in trying out some fabulous T-fal non-stick cookware for yourself? Target has select T-fal non-stick cookware on sale at 15% off from February 27 through March 3, 2017!
This post is sponsored by Krusteaz and T-fal. All opinions and photos are, as always, my own.