Fact: donuts are not hard to make. If you take a little shortcut, they are even easier than baking cookies! You don’t even need a deep fryer – just a wooden cutting board, rolling pin, slotted spoon, plates and hungry tummies.
Here’s an insanely easy homemade donut recipe:
1 can pizza dough (yeah that’s right: pizza dough)
about 3.5 cups canola oil (but in a pinch veg oil will do)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
4-6 hungry tummies
1. Roll out pizza dough on a floured cutting board until about 1/4 – 1/2 inches thick.
2.Heat oil in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat.
3. In a shallow bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon until well blended. If you need more, just remember to add twice as much sugar as you do cinnamon.
4. Use a large round cookie cutter to cut out the donuts. Then use a small, 3/4-inch round cookie cutter to cut out a hole in the center of each donut. Save the center dough circles for donut holes.
5. Make sure the oil is hot by dropping a teeny tiny piece of dough into the oil. If it’s ready, it should start sizzling up immediately (not a lot, but enough).
6. Using a slotted spoon, carefully transfer the cut out donut dough into the oil. I can fit about 4 or 5 in our saucepan at a time without overcrowding; use your best judgment based on the size of your saucepan.
7. Allow the dough to soak in the oil until the bottoms turn slightly golden, then turn them over. Once they are a nice golden color, use the slotted spoon to carefully lift them out of the pan and onto a plate.
8. Allow the donuts to cool just slightly, then gingerly dip each donut in the cinnamon sugar mixture, covering all sides with the sugary goodness. Do this with much love; it’s like giving your child that beautiful coat she’s always wanted and once she has it on she just shines. That’s what cinnamon sugar does to these donuts. Mmm-hmm.
9. Feed 4 – 6 hungry tummies with these tasty treats. Eat. Enjoy.
Then if you’re like me, consider going for a run later in the day, because low fat, these donuts are not :)
PS – I am working on a chocolate topping for these donuts. Haven’t quite gotten the best mix of melted chocolate to whipped cream ratio I like yet but you could try that too if you want some chocolate donuts. And who doesn’t want chocolate donuts? Also working on a maple topping. Because I LOVE me some maple bars. Mmm-mmm!