Instant Pot Lentil Soup is a fast, easy, hearty vegan dish packed with vitamins and minerals.
Well, hello Autumn.
Our liquid sunshine-soaked Saturdays on the soccer field sidelines and never-ending battle with the falling leaves in our yard give away fall’s arrival without the need for a calendar. It actually started snowing in some parts of Oregon this past weekend — in September!
Bring on cozy comfort food season. The hearty dishes that soothe the soul and warm us up. Bring on soups and stews, chilis and pastas.
Vegan Instant Pot Lentil Soup
Truth be told, I could eat this kind of food all year long. In fact, I made this Instant Pot Lentil Soup a couple of times over the summer to recipe test it for the blog. I can attest that it’s definitely a recipe that can hold its own no matter what the weather!
But now that there’s a chill in the air, this soup is tasting better than ever.
Easy Pantry Recipe
One of the reasons I love this recipe is that you probably already have all, if not most, of the ingredients in your pantry or refrigerator.
There’s no meat to defrost. No spices you’ll need to go out and buy (and probably only use once or twice). Just common veggies, green lentils, broth (I use vegetable broth but you can use chicken broth if that’s what you have), and common spices. Easy peasy and SO fast and delicious!
A healthier, heartier vegan and vegetarian soup
This is a super hearty vegetarian recipe that I think you’ll find the carnivores in your life will enjoy as well. Because there’s no dairy, it’s also one of my favorite vegan recipes.
Because lentils contain virtually no fat but are high in fiber, they tend to fill you up without adding unnecessary calories to your meal. Studies also show that lentils, high in magnesium as well as fiber, have been shown to help reduce inflammation.
What is the difference between green lentils and red lentils?
Green lentils are also packed with great vitamins and minerals. According to the USDA, a half cup of dried green lentils provides 24g protein, 10g fiber, 80mg calcium, and 4mg iron.
I use green lentils for this recipe because they tend to hold up and retain their shape during the cooking process. Red lentils, on the other hand, can get mushy when cooked for a while.
Can lentil soup be frozen?
Yes! Keep this lentil soup in an airtight freezer-friendly container in your freezer for up to 3 months.
What to serve with vegan lentil soup
While eating bowlfuls of this Instant Pot Lentil Soup on its own makes for a perfectly acceptable full meal, here are some ideas for side dishes to serve with it:
- simple green salad
- steamed or roasted broccoli
- smashed potatoes
More Instant Pot and Soup Recipes
- Instant Pot Cashew Chicken
- Best Instant Pot Chili Recipe
- 15 Instant Pot Recipes for Busy Weeknights
- 20 Fall Soups to Keep You Warm
Instant Pot Lentil Soup Recipe
Instant Pot Lentil Soup
- instant pot
- 1 cup chopped yellow or white onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots (1-2 carrots)
- 1/2 cup chopped celery (about 2 stalks)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 – 1/2 cup green lentils
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- kosher salt
- 4 cups vegetable broth (2 14.5 oz cans)
- 4 cups baby spinach
INSTANT POT INSTRUCTIONS
- Add onions, carrots, celery, garlic, lentils, and tomatoes to your Instant Pot.
- Season ingredients with basil, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Add broth and stir to combine.
- Set instant pot to MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK on High for 15 minutes. Once the pressure cooker is done, quick release. Remove lid and stir in spinach.
- Add all ingredients to a dutch oven and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to simmer, then cover. Cook for about 25-30 minutes.