Colorful candies add a happy Spring twist in these Giant Chocolate Chip M & M Cookies!
We bake chocolate chip cookies quite a lot in our house. No matter what the season, what the weather, or what the occasion — chocolate chip cookies will always reign supreme!
I like to do little fun twists to our Go To classic chocolate chip cookie recipe. And in spring, when all of the desserts turn to pretty pastel colored beauties, I love using the Easter M & Ms in our cookies.
What is it about Easter candy that makes them so yummy? I think it’s partially the fun, happy colors.
I just love how these candy-coated little chocolates add a little crunch to these soft chocolate chip M & M cookies.
Giant Chocolate Chip M & M Cookies
You can see that in this particular batch, I used chocolate chunks (these are my fave dairy-free chocolate chunks for baking) instead of chocolate chips. You can use either.
To make these giant cookies, I scooped out the cookie dough with my trusty OXO large cookie scoop. You can also use your hands and just form 2-inch balls. The cookie scoop simply adds some uniformity to the cookies so that they are the same size. This helps the cookies bake evenly.
These cookies are the perfect balance of soft and chewy with slightly crisp edges. And, of course, you can always add more or less of the chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, and M & Ms to suit your sweet tooth!
These cookies aren’t just for Easter. These would be beautiful plated up for your Mother’s Day brunch, for baby and wedding showers, or for any spring or summer picnic. They’re adorable AND delicious!
Giant Chocolate Chip M & M Cookie Recipe
- 1 stick unsalted butter 8 tablespoons
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon + a dash extra of salt
- ¾ cup chocolate chips or chocolate chunks
- ¾ cup milk chocolate M & Ms
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Melt the butter in the microwave for about 30 seconds or until it is just melted. Allow it to cool slightly at room temperature. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, beat the melted butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar for about 2 minutes, until well blended and creamy.
- Add vanilla and the egg, then beat on low speed for about 10 seconds, just until incorporated.
- Add flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix the dry ingredients until just incorporated into the wet ingredients. Turn off the mixer and remove the bowl.
- Using a wooden spoon (or your hands!) gently fold in the chocolate chips/chocolate chunks and the M & Ms to the mixture.
- Form 2-inch balls (I use a large cookie scoop) and place on prepared cookie sheets lined with parchment paper, about 2 inches apart, as these will spread.
- I add a few chocolate chunks and M & Ms to the tops of each cookie so that when they bake, they stand out of the cookie a bit (see baked cookie pics), but this step is completely optional.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes at 350°F, just until the edges are slightly browned but the centers are still soft and slightly puffy (but not jiggly). Cool on cooling racks for 10 minutes before devouring. Enjoy!