It’s that time of year when the scents of autumn take over my senses and all I want to do is bake anything and everything with apples, pumpkins, cinnamon.
If you, too, are in the pumpkin state of mind these days, here’s a delicious, easy pumpkin bread recipe that comes together quickly.
I’ve experimented with several different pumpkin bread recipes over the years, and mine is a mish-mash of our own banana bread recipe and what we liked best from those previous pumpkin bread experiments. This is a truly easy, one-bowl recipe that makes a lot.
Warning: this recipe doesn’t last long in my house, so feel free to double up and save some in the freezer if you want it to last!
MAKE IT YOUR OWN:
– Eliminate the chocolate chips and/or the cinnamon sugar mix for plain pumpkin bread.
– Add walnuts or pecans.
– Top the loaves with cream cheese frosting.
MAKES: Two 9″ x 5″ loaves OR 1 loaf and 24 mini muffins
- 1-1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 15- ounce can pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 2 Tablespoons mini chocolate chips
- cinnamon sugar mix
- CINNAMON SUGAR MIX DIRECTIONS:
- Make a small batch of 1 part sugar to 1 part ground cinnamon in a small bowl or small Tupperware. Mix/shake until the cinnamon and sugar are well blended. Save for the last step of the pumpkin bread directions; use only the amount you feel comfortable using and save the rest.
- CHOCOLATE CHIP PUMPKIN BREAD DIRECTIONS:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix dry ingredients (flour, both sugars, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg) in a large bowl until well blended.
- Adding one at a time, add the pumpkin puree, eggs, vegetable oil, water, and vanilla to the dry mix, stirring in between each new ingredient. Mix in the 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips last, until well blended.
- Pour evenly into two 9? x 5? standard bread loaf pans. Or, you can also use this batter to make one loaf and 24 mini muffins.
- Sprinkle remaining 2 Tablespoons of mini chocolate chips over the top of the loaves, and then sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mix evenly over the top of loaves.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick test comes out completely clean.