Double Berry Chocolate Chip Muffins are packed with juicy summer fruits and sweet chocolate chips, making these kid-favorite muffins perfect for breakfast on the go, entertaining, or afternoon snacks!
We love muffins in our house.
They’re so easy to whip together with a variety of flavor combos. They can be sweet, savory, or both – and they’re the perfect snacks for busy families on-the-go!
While classic Blueberry Lemon Muffins reign supreme, and Apple Cinnamon Veggie Muffins are fave healthy snacks, sometimes I like to combine our love of spring and summer berries with our year-round love of chocolate.
Let’s not lie: I love any opportunity to incorporate chocolate, and have proudly passed along this chocolate adoration to our children.
Making Double Berry Chocolate Chip Muffins
These Double Berry Chocolate Chip Muffins are packed with fresh raspberries and blueberries, but if those berries are not quite in season when you are ready to make these, go for frozen. We always have several bags of frozen fruit from our summer berry picking adventures, and when those run out, I love our local grocery store’s organic frozen berries. You’ll see I used a mix of fresh and frozen in this particular batch of muffins.
You can also use strawberries, blackberries or marionberries in addition to or instead of the raspberries and blueberries.
I use a mix of semi-sweet chocolate chips and semi-sweet chocolate chunks, mainly because I love the way the chocolate chunks tend to hold their shape and give you more of a powerful chocolate punch with each bite. But you can use all chocolate chips if that’s what you have on hand.
The streusel topping is pretty easy to make, and I use it for a lot of muffins that we make. Of course, you can omit the streusel topping if you prefer, but I really do think these taste so much better with it!
Double Berry Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk or homemade dairy-free buttermilk see Notes section for making homemade buttermilk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or chocolate chunks
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips or chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin or prep muffin tin with cupcake/muffin wrappers.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter in a microwave. Allow to cool slightly at room temperature.
- In a stand mixer mixing bowl, mix sugar, melted butter, buttermilk, and vanilla on low speed until just combined.
- In another medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Keep mixer on low and slowly add in dry mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, until combined.
- With a spatula, gently fold in blueberries, raspberries, and chocolate chips into the mix. Be careful not to overmix.
- Use a large cookie or ice cream scoop to school muffin mix evenly divided into each greased muffin tin or cupcake/muffin wrapper. Top with handful of streusel topping (see below). Then add 4-6 chocolate chips or chocolate chunks on top of each muffin.
Make the Streusel Topping
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, both sugars, cinnamon, and cubed cold butter using your hands or two forks. Mix together until the mixture is crumbly.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, SHARE IT ON INSTAGRAM WITH #URBANBLISSLIFE AND TAG @URBANBLISSLIFE. I’D LOVE TO SEE WHAT YOU MAKE! AND IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE, PLEASE DO ME A HUGE FAVOR AND LEAVE A STAR RATING. THANK YOU, SWEET FRIENDS!
More Breakfast Bliss Recipes