Oh, chocolate. I love you so. I do believe I’ve written songs about my love for chocolate, but I’ll spare you all from those (for now…).
Sometimes, you just need a little chocolate, though. At parties or as a little pick-me-up at work to beat that afternoon slump, a little shot of chocolate – literally – will do.
One of my favorite dairy substitutions since going dairy-free is using coconut milk in place of regular milk and heavy cream. It’s such a simple and delicious one-to-one substitution. And it works perfectly when creating almost any chocolate dessert, like these delicious dairy-free chocolate mousse shots.
Dairy-Free Chocolate Mousse Shots
Oh I love these so much. So. Very. Much.
These Dairy-Free Chocolate Mousse Shots are the perfect dessert to serve at parties and holiday gatherings. They are mini single servings, so the presentation alone is super adorable, but offering single serving desserts also make it easy for guests to enjoy and still mix and mingle. Unlike when you serve pie or cake. Have you ever tried to hold a plate with a slice of pie or cake while also holding a glass of wine and trying to hold some sort of witty conversation with fellow party guests? Not easy, and the dessert ends up not being as enjoyable.
These babies are delicious, easy on the eyes, and easy to eat.
I first made these when I hosted a Bunco night at my house, and I knew I wanted some sort of sweet chocolate dessert that was single serving. I’ve made these a few times since, and while I’ve always used coconut milk, you can also use coconut cream in its place if you want an even richer, thicker chocolate mousse.
The mini chocolate chips are optional – but not really. You should really have these with some dairy-free mini chocolate chips (I love Enjoy Life chocolate chips). The added crunch and texture that the mini chips bring to this dessert make it balanced and all the more delicious.
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- mini chocolate chips for topping
- Chill the can of coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight.
- For best results, place your stand mixer bowl in the refrigerator for 10-30 minutes before you make the chocolate mousse shots.
- Once you're ready to make the recipe, remove the bowl and the can of coconut milk from the refrigerator.
- Open the can and skim off only the thick cream into the stand mixing bowl. Reserve the rest for smoothies, soups, and other recipes.
- Add the cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar to the mixing bowl.
- Mix all ingredients on medium until whipped into a thicker cream the consistency of mousse. If necessary, add more powdered sugar.
- Spoon into double shot glasses or you could get fancy and pipe the mousse in, as shown in the photos here.
- Optional: top with mini chocolate chips. Actually, no, not optional: you really should top each one with a few mini chocolate chips!
Adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie
What about you? What’s your favorite chocolate dessert?