This cookies & cream ice cream is dairy-free and full of delicious cookie sandwich crumbles in each bite!
July is National Ice Cream Month and this coming Sunday July 17th is National Ice Cream Day!
ICE CREAM FOR EVERYONE!
Yes, even those of us who are dairy-free.
When I discovered I needed to have a mostly dairy-free diet, I panicked not only because CHEESE (!!) but because ICE CREAM (!!).
Mint chocolate chip is my favorite ice cream flavor in the whole world. I love the crunch of the chocolate chips with the minty flavor. My kids love classic vanilla, chocolate, and of course, cookies and cream.
It’s so easy and so rewarding to make homemade ice cream. And, it’s almost always healthier, because you really just need 2-4 ingredients tops to make ice cream, and I love that we can enjoy sweet treats without all of the added processed ingredients you find in most store brands.
This is cookies and cream ice cream is dairy free and made with coconut milk, but if you do not need to be dairy free, you can absolutely use heavy cream instead of coconut milk in this recipe.
And actually, if you don’t have to be dairy-free, I say do it: enjoy the heavy cream in your ice cream for those of us who can’t! My kids definitely prefer the heavy cream version of this recipe; they are not huge fans of coconut milk as I am.
I, however, loved this dairy-free ice cream!
This dairy-free, vegan cookies and cream ice cream is a cool, sweet treat. The consistency is between that of a traditional rich, velvety ice cream and a light sorbet.
I have found that between 10-12 cookies seems to be about the right amount but you can certainly adjust this to your personal preference as well. Just remember to wait until about the last five minutes of churning to add the crumbled cookies in.
Don’t forget to save a few cookie crumbles to sprinkle on top of each serving, too!
Because everybody deserves a little extra cookie love, don’t you think?
Happy National Ice Cream Month AND National Ice Cream Day, friends! Enjoy!
Kid Cooking Bliss
Here are some of the tasks that kids can help you with to make this recipe:
- Crushing the cookies in a plastic bag
- Measuring out the sugar and vanilla.
- Adding the coconut milk, sugar, and vanilla to the blender.
- Pouring the liquids into the ice cream maker.
- Adding the cookie crumbles to the ice cream maker at the end.
- 1 14- ounce can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 chocolate sandwich cookies like Oreos
- Either by hand or in a food processor, roughly chop the sandwich cookies into chunks. Set aside.
- Add coconut milk, sugar, and vanilla extract to a blender and pulse just enough to blend all ingredients.
- Pour coconut milk mixture into your chilled ice cream maker bowl and churn according to manufacturer's instructions.
- The last five minutes of churning, add the chopped sandwich cookies into the ice cream maker and continue churning for the remaining time.
- Transfer finished ice cream into a freezer safe container and cover then freeze until you are ready to serve.
What’s your favorite ice cream flavor?
More Ice Cream and Sorbet Bliss