We make chocolate chip banana bread a lot in our house. At least once a week, my son and I have a baking afternoon. We go through the various recipe binders I’ve created throughout the years and he gets to choose what we bake. This means we often bake the same thing each week. That’s ok by me, as long as we have baked goods in the house!
Here’s how we make our favorite chocolate chip banana bread. I love this because it’s so easy, contains ingredients we usually have on hand, and my son can pretty much take on almost every step of making the bread on his own if he wanted.
1 cup brown sugar
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 egg whites
2 large ripe bananas
1 cup quick cooking oats
1/2 cup fat-free milk
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
handful of chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Beat first four ingredients (brown sugar through eggs) on medium speed in a mixer until well mixed.
3. In a separate bowl, mash bananas, oats, and milk together until well blended. Add to the sugar mixture.
4. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and stir with a whisk.
5. Add dry ingredients to the wet mixture in the mixer and beat on medium speed until just moist.
6. Add batter to 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray (or just use a DeMarle loaf pan as I do).
7. Sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over the batter. (This is my son’s favorite job!)
8. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour or until the middle is solid.