Need a hearty, truly mouthwatering, dairy-free chicken dinner recipe the whole family will love? Try my One-Pan Chicken with Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato, Mushroom, and Spinach Sauce!
We’re knee-deep – nay, neck-deep! – in the hustle and bustle of fall.
Sports, band, school functions, work events, work deadlines, housekeeping stuff, Thanksgiving week prep…not to mention No School November juggling. Everything heaps on all at once in the fall, doesn’t it?
How are you all holding up during this busy season?
To help take the load off, I love sharing recipes here that are quick, easy, AND super tasty. I know how challenging it can be to get a home-cooked meal on the table, especially on busy weeknights.
This newest family-friendly recipe is IT, my friends. I can’t tell you how much I love this dish! It’s the perfect comfort food at the end of a long, stressful, chilly fall day.
And… this is a healthier, dairy-free sauce, but it tastes so rich and creamy, you won’t miss any of the fat that most cream sauces contain.
Chicken with Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato, Mushroom, and Spinach Sauce
Chicken is such a staple in our household. I just love it’s versatility. Do you cook with chicken a lot, too?
I like to mix it up by getting chicken breast tenderloins, chicken breasts, skinless chicken thighs, and my personal favorite: bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs. And versatility is one of the reasons why I LOVE this recipe!
This easy chicken recipe is one that is flexible enough to accommodate almost any cut of chicken you desire (just not drumsticks or wings).
Simply adjust cooking times depending on the chicken you get, as noted in the recipe, and you’re set!
After you’ve browned the chicken in a large skillet, set it aside and then add the veggies to the skillet.
The aromas released from the garlicky mushrooms and savory sun-dried tomatoes will fill your kitchen and make the whole household hungry. You might have to fend them off to keep from sneaking bites. Or, better yet, you could put them to work to help make the rest of the meal!
“Cream” Sauce Options
A word on the “cream” sauce: I used chicken stock and canned coconut milk to make a healthier, lower fat version of traditional cream sauce. But trust me: you won’t miss the butter or heavy cream at all! It’s so rich and decadent – a dairy-free sauce worthy of your favorite comfort food.
You can, of course, easily use whipping cream, half and half, whole milk, or 2% milk if you prefer. Just be sure to stir the liquid constantly as it thickens.
Your New Favorite Chicken Dinner Recipe
I can’t emphasize enough how much I LOVE this chicken dinner recipe! It’s creamy, packed with yummy textures and rich flavors from the veggies, and oh so satisfying.
It is the ULTIMATE comfort food that will fill your family up with yummy happiness.
Plus, if you have leftovers, they heat up well and taste just as amazing the next day!
Chicken with Creamy Sundried Tomato, Spinach, and Mushroom Cream Sauce Recipe
- 3 Tablespoons vegan butter
- 6 chicken thighs see instructions for using other cuts of chicken
- 2 Tablespoons garlic
- 2 cups mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 cup julienned sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 cups spinach de-stemmed
- 1 tablespoon chopped sage
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped rosemary
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped thyme
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 14.5 ounce can coconut milk
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken.
- * If using bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs: cook for 4-6 minutes each side, until the outside is a nice golden brown.* If using skinless, boneless chicken thighs: cook for 3-4 minutes each side, until the outside is a nice golden brown.
* If using boneless, skinless chicken breasts: cook for 2-3 minutes each side, until the outside is a nice golden brown.
- Remove chicken from the skillet and let rest on a plate.
- Add garlic, mushrooms, and sun-dried tomatoes to the skillet. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add spinach, sage, rosemary, and thyme. Stir to combine.
- Slowly add chicken broth and coconut milk to the skillet, stir, and bring to a low boil.
- Reduce heat to low-medium and return the chicken to the skillet.
- Cook on the stove for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, just until the chicken is cooked through.
More Food Bliss
Take Two: Taco Mac & Cheese