These Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies are a classic and sure to become a staple in your holiday baking traditions!
Tis the day after Christmas,
and all through the house
not a creature was stirring
except for Mom who was up baking these Soft and Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies because now that Christmas meal #1 was over, she still had to prepare for Christmas meal #2 with the other side of the family.
I’m pretty sure that’s how the poem goes.
Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies
Did you all have a great Christmas? This is the first year we have been traveling for Christmas. That means we have one more Christmas celebration still happening this weekend.
For those of you who have continuing holiday celebrations (or not, because these cookies are good all year long, and need no special occasion to be made!), this Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookie recipe is one of my annual Go To cookie recipes.
Making the Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies
This recipe involves ingredients you may already have in your pantry, with the exception of Coconut Sugar. I used half coconut sugar and half cane sugar. You can always just use all granulated sugar instead, and the results are similar. However, I have to say: I love the extra rich flavor that the coconut sugar adds.
These cookies come together pretty quickly, which is always a plus in my book!
I use the bottom of a measuring cup to gently tap down on the individual rolled cookie balls before baking.
How many cookies does this recipe make?
This recipe makes approximately 4 dozen cookies, and can be doubled easily. This is an awesome cookie for cookie exchanges!
How long does it take to bake these cookies?
Baking time will vary depending on your oven, but also on the type of baking sheet you have, based on my personal experience.
If you are baking on a light-colored baking pan, your baking time may be between 10 and 15 minutes.
If you are baking on a Silpat or darker baking sheet, your baking time may be closer to 8 to 12 minutes.
What are some of your favorite Go To holiday cookies each year?
Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup cocounut sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup full flavor molasses
- 1 cup raw sugar for outer coating
- In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients: flour, ground ginger, ground cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
- In a mixing stand, cream together the butter and both sugars for at least 2 minutes, until smooth and creamy.
- Add in the egg, mix until blended.
- Add in molasses and mix until fully blended.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients, 1/4 cup at a time, and only mix until all ingredients are well blended. Be careful not to over mix.
- Shape dough into a disc shape and wrap with plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator for 45 minutes to one hour.
- Remove from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for about 5 minutes, until soft enough to roll easily.
- Form small round balls and roll in raw sugar.
- Place on prepared baking sheet and gently tap down.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8 – 12 minutes until slightly golden brown.
- Makes approximately 4 dozen.