These apple cinnamon donuts are easy to make at home!
I have discovered the secret to making delicious donuts. Are you ready for it? Lean in close.
Shhh. Here it is: do not take any shortcuts.
Truly blissful amazing donuts cannot be rushed. There are no substitutes for quality here. I know I’ve boasted of my time-saving shortcut donuts made with pre-made pie dough. Don’t get me wrong, those are good – my family loves them! – and most importantly for busy families, the shortcut donuts are fast and easy to make.
However, if you have an hour in the morning, consider spending it lovingly creating delicious donut treats for yourself and your family. Donuts made from scratch are definitely the best!
Apple Cinnamon Donuts
I decided to try my hand at making Apple Cinnamon Donuts.
Fall is in the air, which makes me crave apple and cinnamon treats. I recently received a gift of GoGoSqueeZ Apple packets, which are so tasty – and healthy! I thought they’d be a yummy addition to donut batter.
Turns out, this was the perfect donut recipe to dive into on a lovely autumn weekend.
What You Need to Make Apple Cinnamon Donuts
To make these delicious donuts at home, you just need:
- Stand mixer with paddle attachment
- Digital candy/deep-fry thermometer
- Circle cookie/pastry cutters: one about 5″ in diameter for the outside, and one about 2″ in diameter for the center circle (the book suggests a bar cutter, but use what you have on hand. For me, it was pastry & cookie cutters).
- Large cutting board or a Rolpat (see photos below) and rolling pin to roll out the dough (the book suggests a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, but if you use a large enough board/surface, you don’t need this).
How to Make Apple Cinnamon Donuts
After measuring out the dry ingredients, whisk them together then set aside.
Then in a standing mixer, combine your brown sugar and wet ingredients. This is where I substituted the traditional applesauce in the original recipe for GoGoSqueeZ applesauce.
Once combined, then add the dry ingredients to the mixer and mix well until the dough starts to come together into a ball.
Form the dough into a disc, cover with plastic wrap, and chill in the fridge for about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, mix up the Autumn Spice Mix in a bowl and set aside. Then get your deep fryer ready. Or, in my case, a heavy deep pot. Heat the oil over medium heat until the temps reach about 360 degrees.
Take the dough out of the fridge and roll it out evenly until it’s about a quarter of an inch thick. Use the cookie or pastry cutters to cut out donut shapes.
I always save those donut holes too! Don’t let any of this delicious dough that you worked so hard to create to waste!
Deep fry about 3 or 4 donuts at a time, turning each one over after about 25 seconds on each side. Then use a slotted spoon to remove them and let them cool slightly on several sheets of paper towels.
TIP: You must watch your donuts very carefully. They will burn quickly, so you need to work quickly. This is not the time to even step away for a sip of water. Focus, dear donut lovers! Watch them carefully, and it will pay off.
While donuts are slightly cooled but still warm, toss them into the spice mixture, making sure each side is evenly coated.
When you’re done, you will have gorgeous, rich apple spice donuts that look like this:
…and donuts that taste AMAZING!
- 4 cups all-purpose flour divided
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup applesauce or two GoGoSqueez applesauce packs
- 1/4 cup nonfat milk
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter melted and cooled
- Canola oil
- Autumn Spiced Sugar
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- In a large bowl, whisk together 3 cups of flour, the baking powder, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, allspice, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a standing mixer bowl with paddle attachment, combine brown sugar, eggs, applesauce, milk, and butter. Mix on low speed until well combined.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to the mixer and mix until all ingredients are incorporated and dough starts to come together to almost form a ball.
- Take out the dough, form a disc shape, wrap with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together the Autumn Spiced Sugar ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a large deep pot or deep fryer, heat about 4 inches of Canola oil over medium heat until the thermometer reaches 360 degrees.
- Take out the chilled dough and roll out onto a floured surface to slightly thicker than 1/4 inch.
- Cut out donut shapes.
- Deep fry 3 or 4 donuts at a time, turning just once using wooden chopsticks, until they are golden brown, about 25 seconds on each side. Watch donuts carefully so they do not burn!
- Using a slotted spoon, carefully lift out cooked donuts and place onto several paper towels to absorb excess oil. Fry remaining donuts and donut holes. Remember the donut holes will require less time, so you will be turning them over almost as soon as you place them in. The donut holes cook quickly!
- Toss warm donuts with the Autumn Spice Sugar mix. Enjoy while they are still warm!
This post was originally published September 28, 2012. It was updated January 30, 2020 with edited content.