Air Fryer Teriyaki Chicken Wings are crispy, sweet, and tangy! Perfect for game day, parties, or any busy weeknight!
We LOVE making chicken wings in our air fryer.
Air Fryer Crispy Chicken Wings are my family’s favorite base recipe. Today I’m sharing a teriyaki version that takes yummy wings to a whole new level!
Air Fryer Honey Teriyaki Chicken Wings
These wings are like Asian-style sticky wings. I like to marinate the wings for at least 15 minutes in some soy sauce with minced garlic and ginger. This helps the chicken soak up all of those yummy Asian flavors before cooking.
Then you make a sauce that is poured over the wings once they are done cooking. This is a basic teriyaki sauce that is similar to what I use for stir-fries. If you are in a pinch, you could easily use store-bought teriyaki sauce. However, I think you’ll really love the freshness and flavor in the homemade sauce. And, it’s so easy to make!
Serve these delicious wings as party appetizers for game day, summer BBQs, or any fun gathering with friends & family. Or serve them as a dinner entree.
What kind of air fryer do you need to make chicken wings?
However, with the basket-style air fryer, you will likely need to cook in batches. I find I don’t usually need to cook in batches with the larger, rack-style air fryer.
How to make air fryer teriyaki chicken wings
- Marinate the chicken wings.
- Lightly oil the bottom of the air fryer insert or racks, depending on which air fryer style you have.
- Place the chicken wings in one layer; you may need to air fry these in two batches.
- Air fry at 380°F for 12 minutes. Flip over the wings. Air fry at 400°F for another 12 minutes.
- Make the sauce while the chicken is cooking. When the chicken is done cooking, pour the sauce over the chicken.
- Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds, then serve immediately.
Can I use frozen chicken wings?
If you try to air fry frozen wings, they are likely to cook up unevenly. I recommend only using fresh chicken wings, or previously frozen wings that have thawed completely before cooking. This will ensure you have evenly cooked, juicy chicken wings!
More chicken recipes
- Grilled Honey Garlic Chicken Skewers
- Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer Popcorn Chicken: Make Once, Eat Twice Recipe
- Instant Pot Filipino Chicken Adobo
Air Fryer Teriyaki Chicken Wings
- air fryer
- 3 pounds chicken wings
- 1 – ½ cup soy sauce, divided (or use GF coconut aminos)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and grated, divided (or use 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch or cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- green onions, thinly sliced
- sesame seeds
- olive oil spray to grease air fryer basket or racks
- Place chicken wings in a large bowl or into a large ziplock plastic bag. Pour in half the soy sauce (¾ cup) along with half of the minced ginger and garlic, plus the lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Mix the ingredients together to make sure the chicken is coated on all sides and the ingredients are dispersed throughout the bowl or bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes (you can marinate them for up to 2-3 hours ahead of time).
- When you're ready to cook the chicken, preheat your air fryer to 380°F. Grease the basket or racks with olive oil spray. Place wings in a single layer in the prepared air fryer basket or racks, working in batches as needed. Cook in the air fryer for 12 minutes at 380°F, then increase temperature to 400°F and cook for another 12 minutes.
- While the chicken is in the air fryer, stir the remaining ¾ cup soy sauce, remaining minced garlic & ginger, plus the honey, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar in a large skillet over medium heat. Stirring gently, cook about 3-5 minutes, just until the sauce has reduced slightly.
- Dissolve cornstarch or arrowroot in cold water in a bowl to create a slurry. Add this slurry to the sauce and stir until thickened, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove from the air fryer. Pour the sauce over the chicken. Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds, if desired.