You know how we all have our quirky little food peculiarities? Mine is ahi tuna – I love it, but it has to be prepared very specifically. For instance, one of our local restaurants serves the BEST ahi tuna salad I have ever had, and any time we dine there, I HAVE to have it. Oh, I look at the menu and pretend I will order something else for a change, but everyone at the table always knows: I’m getting the ahi tuna salad. I’ve tried the ahi tuna salad at no less than five other restaurants, and it is never, ever the same.
Then there’s the ahi tuna tacos a friend made during a girls’ weekend up in Hood Canal, Washington last summer. They were the most amazing ahi tuna tacos, and no other ahi tuna tacos have ever come close.
So when I found out that Bumble Bee SuperFresh® offers an ahi tuna product, I couldn’t resist.
Bumble Bee SuperFresh® Seared Ahi Tuna
Bumble Bee SuperFresh® Seared Ahi Tuna is the first ever sushi quality “thaw and serve” packaged seafood product. In order to maintain the high quality of this delicate fish, it stays frozen during processing and is never fully defrosted or re-frozen during preparation. The tuna thaws out in about 3 hours, and then it’s ready to make any dish extraordinary!
In homage to my favorite ahi tuna salad and my friend’s fabulous ahi tuna tacos, I’ve created this hybrid dish: Ahi Tuna Crisps.
Ahi Tuna Crisps
These Ahi Tuna Crisps can be served either as appetizers at any gathering or holiday party, and these are also excellent to serve up during any busy weeknight! You can put them in the refrigerator to thaw in the morning and then cook the wontons and assemble everything at night in less than 30 minutes.
How to Make Ahi Tuna Crisps
I’m really excited to bring these to an upcoming gathering of girlfriends. After thawing for about 3 hours in the refrigerator, the Bumble Bee SuperFresh® Seared Ahi Tuna is ready to go. It’s already pre-sliced into perfect bite-sized pieces for this dish!
The first thing to do is make the Asian slaw. Simply take the shredded cabbages, carrots, ginger, soy sauce, fish sauce, and lime juice and mix to combine. Set aside while you make the wontons.
For the wontons, you simple fry up about 24 wonton wrappers either in a deep fryer according to manufacturer directions, or in a large pot filled with oil.
After allowing the friend won tons to cool slightly, top with the Asian slaw, then one slice of the Bumble Bee SuperFresh® Seared Ahi Tuna, and sprinkle with cilantro.
That’s it! Super easy, right?
I have to say, I wasn’t sure how these would turn out, because I *am* quite picky when it comes to ahi tuna, after all. But I LOVED them! I ate so many and then even had a couple of leftovers the next day and it was still fabulous. The lime, ginger, soy sauce combo is key with the fish, and the wonton adds a nice crunch for varied texture.
Like most ahi tuna dishes, the success of the recipe truly comes down to the quality of the fish. Unlike many other packaged frozen food items, Bumble Bee SuperFresh® stays true to the main ingredient and allows the fish to shine, instead of weighing it down with a bunch of super hard to pronounce ingredients, breading, or sauces.
Urban Bliss Pairing Pick
- 1 package of Bumble Bee SuperFresh® Seared Ahi Tuna
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
- 4 tablespoons peeled julienned carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- Approximately 3 hours before you want to start cooking, place the package of Bumble Bee SuperFresh® Seared Ahi Tuna in the refrigerator to thaw.
- Next, start making the Asian slaw.
- In a large bowl, combine the shredded green and red cabbage, carrots, ginger, soy sauce, fish sauce, and fresh lime juice.
- Top with 1/2 tablespoon of chopped cilantro.
- Set bowl aside.
- Fry up the wontons, either in a deep fryer (follow manufacturer directions), or in a large pot with vegetable oil. Working in batches, fry each wonton evenly on both sides until crispy. Use a slotted spoon to lift the very hot wontons out and place onto layers of paper towels to cool.
- To assemble: place a heaping teaspoon of Asian slaw on top of one fried wonton, then top with one slice of Bumble Bee SuperFresh® Seared Ahi Tuna. If you'd like, you can sprinkle the remaining one tablespoon evenly over the appetizers.
SAVE: Visit the Bumble Bee SuperFresh®website for a coupon so you can try these delicious SuperFresh® products for yourself!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.