Looking for a recipe for an easy, elegant appetizer to impress guests? Try these Ahi Tuna Crisp Appetizers!
You know how we all have our FAVORITE dishes at certain restaurants? One of our local restaurants serves the BEST ahi tuna salad I have ever had, and any time we dine there, I HAVE to have it.
Then one day, my friend made these amazing ahi tuna tacos during a girls’ weekend getaway. I fell in love with ahi tuna all over again!
So I’ve worked on recipes to get the same great flavors of my favorite ahi tuna salad and my friend’s amazing ahi tuna tacos at home.
High Quality Ahi Tuna
I’m going to share one of my secret shortcuts with you: I love buying Bumble Bee SuperFresh® Seared Ahi Tuna for quick, easy, amazing appetizers.
It’s the first ever sushi quality “thaw and serve” packaged seafood product. In order to maintain the high quality of this delicate fish, it stays frozen during processing and is never fully defrosted or re-frozen during preparation. The tuna thaws out in about 3 hours, and then it’s ready to make any dish extraordinary!
In homage to my favorite ahi tuna salad and my friend’s fabulous ahi tuna tacos, I’ve created this hybrid dish: Ahi Tuna Crisps. These can be served either as appetizers at any gathering or holiday party. They are also excellent to serve up during any busy weeknight!
How to Make Ahi Tuna Crisp Appetizers
After thawing for about 3 hours in the refrigerator, the Bumble Bee SuperFresh® Seared Ahi Tuna is ready to go. It’s already pre-sliced into perfect bite-sized pieces for this dish!
NOTE: You can make this recipe using sushi-grade ahi tuna loin from your local fish market or grocery store. Simply slice the loin, coat slices evenly with sesame oil, then coat the sides with salt, pepper, and, if desired, sesame seeds.
After your ahi is ready, it’s time to make the Asian slaw. Simply take the shredded cabbages, carrots, ginger, soy sauce, fish sauce, and lime juice and mix to combine. Set aside while you make the wontons.
This recipe makes extra slaw, so feel free to enjoy the Asian slaw on its own the following day.
For the wontons, you simple fry up about 24 wonton wrappers either in a deep fryer according to manufacturer directions, or in a large pot filled with oil.
After allowing the friend won tons to cool slightly, top with the Asian slaw, then one slice of your seared ahi tuna, and sprinkle with cilantro.
That’s it! Super easy, right?
I LOVED this appetizer dish, and think you and your guests, will, too! The lime, ginger, soy sauce combo is key with the fish, and the wonton adds a nice crunch for varied texture.
You can put them in the refrigerator to thaw in the morning and then cook the wontons and assemble everything at night in less than 30 minutes.
Wine Pairing for Ahi Tuna Crisp Appetizers
This easy appetizer would be delicious with the 2014 Raptor Ridge Grüner Veltliner ($20) or the Hawks View 2014 Oregon Pinot Gris ($26).
Ahi Tuna Crisp Appetizers recipe
- 1 package of Bumble Bee SuperFresh® Seared Ahi Tuna — OR 1 pound sushi-grade ahi tuna, sliced, with sesame oil, salt, pepper, and sesame seeds (see NOTES)
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
- 4 tablespoons peeled julienned carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- Approximately 3 hours before you want to start cooking, place the package of Bumble Bee SuperFresh® Seared Ahi Tuna in the refrigerator to thaw. OR: if using sushi-grade ahi tuna, see NOTES below on how to prepare the ahi. Then return here and follow the remaining instructions.
Make the Asian Slaw
- In a large bowl, combine the shredded green and red cabbage, carrots, ginger, soy sauce, fish sauce, and fresh lime juice.
- Top with 1/2 tablespoon of chopped cilantro.
- Set bowl aside.
Fry the wontons
- Fry up the wontons, either in a deep fryer (follow manufacturer directions), or in a large pot with vegetable oil. Working in batches, fry each wonton evenly on both sides until crispy. Use a slotted spoon to lift the very hot wontons out and place onto layers of paper towels to cool.
Assemble the ahi tuna crisps
- Place a heaping teaspoon of Asian slaw on top of one fried wonton, then top with one slice of ahi tuna. If you'd like, you can sprinkle the remaining one tablespoon evenly over the appetizers.