Looking for a hearty and easy weeknight dinner that’s packed with flavor? Try my Pasta with Turmeric, Bacon, and Peas recipe! PLUS: learn more about the health benefits of turmeric and how to use it in cooking.
It’s going to be 85 degrees in Portland today, and I’m sharing a rich, hearty, oh so satisfying comfort food pasta recipe.
Because it’s pasta, folks. Pasta knows no seasons. It knows no boundaries.
Pasta looks at you with its big starchy eyes and soothingly sings “Winter, Spring, Summer, or Fall, all you have to do is call… and I’ll be there…yeah yeah… you’ve got a friend.”
Okay, maybe that was James Taylor who sang that (and yes, I used to listen to that when I was a young child, which means that yes, I am old). But even though I’ve cut back on grains and carbs, pasta is still my friend, no matter what season.
Pasta knows. Pasta understands.
Pasta with Turmeric, Bacon, and Peas
Today’s pasta recipe is a twist on my son’s personal favorite pasta dish that I make: fettuccine with bacon and peas.
Normally I make a dairy-free cream sauce that’s built from a salty, savory bacon base, then add peas. Voila, pasta with bacon and peas. Done! So fast and delicious.
Recently, I decided to add some turmeric to my regular dairy-free creamy pasta sauce, and lo and behold: it was AMAZING!! The flavor was bigger, bolder, and sassier than ever without being spicy (because I’m a total spice wimp).
Turmeric is a spice that traditionally grows in Southeast Asia. You’ve likely enjoyed it Indian, Thai, Pakistani, and Persian dishes at restaurants.
During my recent trip to Kauai, some trip mates went on a tour of Kauai Farmacy, where they learned all about the health benefits and practical applications of various spices – turmeric being one of them.
I was lucky enough to be given a container of their turmeric, cacao, and ginger spice blend to take home. It’s a delicious addition to so many foods!
Potential Health Benefits of Turmeric
While, like many spices, the health benefits touted by the medical community vary, here are a few reported health benefits of this tasty spice:
- naturally detoxes the liver
- contains anti-inflammatory properties and has been used to help treat arthritis and lessen joint pain, as well as inflammatory skin problems
- has been used in various treatments for breast cancer, pancreatic cancer, prostate cancer, skin cancer, and more
- In China, turmeric has been used to help treat depression
Using turmeric in your diet
- Blend it into your smoothies
- Drink it either as a tea or add it to your tea
- Add it to your pasta sauce (like I did in today’s recipe!)
- Mix it into your salad dressing
- Add it to your dry rub spice mixes for super tasty veggie and meat dishes
Pasta with Turmeric, Bacon, and Peas Recipe
Do you like the taste of turmeric? What’s your favorite way of enjoying this super spice?